Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Dome-ing with GG Green: A block daily report

At PT San Juan, by far the most dominent deck in the block constructed portion was the Zvi Mowshowitz mono-green aggro deck.


Utilizing mana dudes and spawn token producers alongside eldrazi monument and beastmaster ascension, the deck domes pretty hard.

Most everything here is fairly straightforward, though I felt like the sideboard could use some work. Seeing no real reason for the gigantoforms or the last ascension, I cut those for another naturalize and 2 mold shambler, since I expected the mirror to grow in popularity. Both naturalize and Shambler are also very good vs. UW control decks due to the ability to hit their journey to nowheres, everflowing chalices (and planeswalkers in the case of shambles)

Here's the list I played

4 Khalni Garden
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Verdant Catacombs
1 Dread Statuary
13 Forest

4 Arbor Elf
4 Joraga Treespeaker
4 Lotus Cobra
4 Nest Invader
4 Kosilek's Predator
4 Wolfbriar Elemental
4 Vengevine
1 River Boa

4 Eldrazi Monument
3 Beastmaster's Ascension

SB:
4 Leatherback Baloth
2 River Boa
3 Tajuru Preserver
2 Mold Shambler
3 Naturalize
1 Forest


On to the event

Round 1: Vs. Mono-red
Game 1, he has a rather slow start, with just a geopede and some removal for my mana guys. I luckily have the lone river boa in the maindeck to stall the ground. He plays an elemental appeal that puts me to 6, and eventually can burn me down to 2, but a monument kills him in 2 turns.

I board in the Baloths, boas, and the forest, cutting wolfbriar elementals and ascensions. The idea is that they have a lot of burn for your mana guys, and you swap into the control deck with guys that beat their guys in combat.

Game 2, his turn 1 goblin guide gets in some hits before trading with a nest invader. Plant tokens chump a 5 power geopede for a while, while a baloth brick walls the rest of his team. After he doesn't have removal for a couple elves I play on turn 4, I play monument on 5 and leave back enough guys to not die to devastating summons+guy+bushwacker, eventually killing him in 3 attacks.


Mono-red is arguably the worst matchup for the deck, since they have a lot of removal for your early drops and still present enough of a clock that it's tough to recover. I was probably lucky to win game 1, but after boarding the matchup becomes a lot better.

1-0, 2-0 in games.

Round 2: vs. The Mirror
Game 1: We open with treespeaker into arbor elf+level into vengevine into monument. He has an ascension and some guys, but can only get up to 6 counters before he dies

I board in the naturalizes and shamblers, cutting vengevines and the boa since there's no creature removal anywhere to be seen and neither guy generates enough value.

Game 2: We both get a t1 treespeaker, and get into a scenario where we both have >10 guys in play, and both obviously have a naturalize in hand. I snuck an ascension into play on turn 3, and at 1 point decide to go for it an play my monument. He has the double naturalize to not be dead, but still isn't able to kill me on the swing back since I left enough people back. He dies to my 2nd monument the next turn.

2-0, 4-0

Round 3: Vs. Boros
Game 1 He comes out quick with a goblin guide, then stoneforge mystic fetching adventuring gear. He plays an emeria angel on 4, and I die to it with the gear before I draw a monument.
I also misplay pretty terribly, as after I draw a land off his goblin guide, I discard an ascension that would never get active instead of a vengevine. Basically just missed the free vengevine, and maybe could have outraced him if I'd played correctly.

Board the same as mono-red, except +2 naturalize, -2 vengevine due to boros having equipment and journey to nowhere

Game 2 I ramp into t3 vengevine, t4 vengevine, and have a monument and some guys to let me rebuy. His bird tokens stall a turn but he dies. It's worth nothing that my opponent played aggresively this game despite having a slow start and obviously losing the race to vengevines, but I don't think he could have won even if he realized we were the beatdown.

Game 3, I mulligan into a 4 land hand, and eventually die having drawn 14 lands to my 5 spells. He is missing white mana for a while to give me a chance, but we don't draw any number of cards to just kill him.


2-1, 5-2


Round 4: Vs. Mono-red
Game 1 He starts really slow, and after my first 2 mana guys live I make a ton of wolves alongside a 4/4. 2 attacks and he dies.

Board plan same as round 1

Game 2 My opponent keeps 1 land, goblin guide, and some removal on the play. He doesn't hit, and dies to some 3/3's. Let this be a lesson to you boys: don't keep 1 land hands.

3-1, 7-2



Overall I felt like this deck was pretty insane. I lost a game to misplaying, and another to insane mana flood, but most of my games weren't even close. I never played a control or eldrazi ramp deck in the event, and don't really have any changes I'd suggest based on just these 4 rounds. Every spell in the deck was insane.

1 comment:

Mise said...

We are mentioning dome without shambling remains.

I am sad.