Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Kai Draft #9 (8-4)

Was feeling a little wild this draft. Enjoy the picks.

Pack 1, Pick 1:




My Pick:


The strongest card is Mammoth Umbra by a fair margin. I wanted to just ramp up for some inexplicable reason and went with the green card. Probably channeling a little kdem2357.
Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Gotta stick to the plan.
Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:
'

The Hedron and Hatcher would both be very nice. Narcolepsy is stronger than both but off color. Induce is important to make sure we don't die to aggro since we can dominate the lategame.
Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Best Eldrazi in the set... or maybe 2nd best.
Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Yes, I did consider hating the Cryptologist. But Mortician Beetle is insane in the spawn archetype.
Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


This would be the best Eldrazi.
Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:


Heat Ray's a bit inefficient. Rapacious One is insane if it ever hits.
Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:


A gift.
Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:


I got some very late picks this draft, probably as a result of heavy forcing in pack 1. Here's what I ended up building:


I kept the 2nd Crusher and Spawnsire in the board as I had no shortage of win cons. I'm also splashing the Growth Spasms instead of being straight R/B as both the ramp and the token are invaluable to the deck functioning.

Round 1: U/G
Game 1: This is one of the strangest games ever. I kept Spawning Breath, Last Kiss, 5 lands on the play. He plays a Training Grounds on 1. The next play is Dread Drone from me around turn 7. He answers with Crusher. I Induce it, showing Pestilence Demon, and do the same to his next Crusher. Demon ends up trading with Sphinx of Magosi, though after it draws him a few cards. Ulamog shows up and he dies shortly.
Game 2: I have no removal for his Cryptologist as he countered my Demon with Deprive. He gets to enjoy the Cryptologist for 4 turns before this happens.

Sometimes you just tap 11.
He had Eel Umbra and Not of this World to make the race semi interesting. In the end he ran out of permanents.

Round 2: G/B spawn
Game 1: He has a very good curve involving Growth Spasm, Broodwarden, and Kozilek's Predator. I have Mortician Beetle, Bloodthrone Vampire, and Dread Drone. The tokens power up Beetle while also allowing turn 6 Disaster Radius revealing Rapacious One to kill his team. He scooped.
Game 2: He starts off strong again with Nest Invader and Mul Daya Channelers. I curve out Growth Spasm, Dread Drone, Skittering Invasion while making the necessary chumps to preserve my life total. Turn 6 Ulamog eradicates his Tuskcaller then eradicates him.

Round 3: U/W Levelers
Game 1: We get stuck on 5 lands and draw double Dreamstone Hedron and Pestilence Demon over the course of the game with no spawn producers. Random dudes kill us.
Game 2: A level 1 Ikrail Outrider with Drake Umbra is enough to beat us as we draw no Induce Despairs or Pestilence Demon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

why are there so many mountains in this deck? that can't possibly be right.

Kmaster said...

Haha you're right. The deck was R/B with +1 mountain +1 swamp. So I just took out those 2 for 2 forests and didn't notice I only had 3 red cards. :)

WhatALuckyTopdeck said...

Man you are pretty fucking wild Kai. I would have went:

P1P1 - Umbra
P1P2 - White Invoker
P1P3 - White Invoker
P1P5 - Value Antelope
P1P7 - Arrogant Bloodlord (late signal)

And from there our drafts would have differed. I'm not a fan of forcing archetypes though.

I tagged in for your finals match and lost it obviously :)