Thursday, June 3, 2010

Kai Draft #5 (8-4)

After finally getting internet at my new house, I settled down to draft another RRR 8-4 for your viewing pleasure.



Pack 1, Pick 1:




My Pick:


Splinter Twin has applications as a semi-lock with Mnemonic Wall and is pretty sweet with certain bombs. I chose to take the always solid Hatcher instead.
Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Someone is on a plan...and it's not the guy on my right.
Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Better than Oracle given the Fall and Insight. Also at this point was considering being Grixis.dec.
Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:


No need for more win cons.
Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:


Unsure what archetype I want to be in at this point. All I know is I'm splashing Assassin and most likely going to get some late blue in pack 3.
Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Hard choice between this and the Predator. However given the fixing I picked up and the fact I have nothing to ramp into at the moment Heat Ray is the better pick.
Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:


No need for more win cons when I have the Keening Stone. Artisan is unnecessary.
Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Taking this over Staggershock values consistency over power. I'm not sure if this pick was correct. The deck was sorely lacking early removal at this point.
Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Have little use for Rapacious One's token creation.
Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:


The Deck:





Round 1:
G1: He plays Ikrail Outrider which is met by my Halimar Wavewatch. I Regress his creatures once they are enchanted in the midgame. Pelakka Wurm and the 8 cards from Recurring Insight easily finish him.

I boarded out Keening Stone for Sporecap Spider. His deck is extremely weak to Tuskcaller and Assassin, so winning should not be a problem. Staying alive may be.
G2: He plays Halimar Wavewatch into Venerated Teacher. He's stuck on three for few turns so I get some breathing room. Distortion Strike catches him up quickly and I die to the Wavewatch when he has Deprive for my Regress.
G3: He plays 3 plains and dies to Tuskcaller.

Round 2:
G1: His first play is Merfolk Skyscout on 4, matched by my Ondu Giant. He enchants his guy with Hyena Umbra and plays Makindi Griffin. I Recurring Insight him for 3, and on his turn he casts Regress on my land and plays Lighthouse Chronologist. My rebound draws me 1 card, and I mainphase Heat Ray on Chronologist and play Tuskcaller after attacking for 2. His next turn brings the heat, followed up by Totem Guide Hartebeest for Drake Umbra. I play Pelakka Wurm on my turn, which was wrong. I should've held up regress and leveled Tuskcaller instead. This way I avoid the Drake Umbra landing and crushing me. I eventually set up Momentous Fall on my Wurm but the Consuming Vapors I eventually find is too slow to save me. I note he also has Linvala in his deck.

I board in 2 Sporecap Spider and Gravity Well for Keening Stone, Emerakul's Hatcher, and Frostwind Invoker.

G2: He plays Cryptologist on 1. I have Heat Ray after he levels once. His Chronologist goes uncontested and I die to his free time walks.

This deck lacked early efficient removal which in the end was its downfall. Another Regress would've also been very good as both decks I played featured a lot of umbras. The Staggershock would've saved me a lot of grief and been excellent with Mnemonic Wall. Hindsight is 20/20.


1 comment:

hwu said...

Loving the 4 color deck idea myself...I've been trying to figure out the best ways to draft it...and it definitely needs the solid bombs like you have, but yeah removal I think is much better than consistency. You can find consistency rather latish I think, and in my mind, removal kinda provides more turns to set up for consistency later on.