Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Kyle RRR Draft #2 - When you're on Team Wild

Pack 1, Pick 1:



My Pick:


There are two possible picks, Induce Despair and Predator.  Both go in the big mana green deck, which is what I want to be drafting.  But this one is more specific.  It cuts it a little better so that I can get hooked up p2.

Pack 1, Pick 2:


My Pick:


This pack just sucks.  Wall is fine, but not really want I want to be doing.  I hate the leveler strategy since it involves attacking with guys that cost less then 7, so Time of Heroes is not even an option for me.
Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Removal is still removal.  Blows out the enchantments that are all around.
Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:


Same reason as the 2nd pick. I don't like attacking.
Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:


This card is way too good to be this late.  If I can get some more token makers this can be a bomb.

Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:


I hate bone wand too.  Deprive is very good though.

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:


I still want to be the big mana green deck, but it is clearly not open right now.  But I will still try to keep it as an option.

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Keepin the dream of green alive.  I like spawnsire a lot too, but beastbreaker is slightly better.  Side note, beastbreaker is not very good in the pure ramp deck and I would take cursher in it if I am far enough in.
Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:


I don't have any fixing to be greedy enough to take a removal spell here.  Deck is starting to shape up into a blue white control deck.

Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Good, now I have a win condition and just need to pick up more eldrazi for the board.
Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:


Get in by board.
Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Now we have another win condition.  I don't have many color restrictions right now so I should easily be able to play several mountains to support him.

Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Not sure about this pick.  Another wall might just have been better.
Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:


 Makes the drake umbra a lot better from before.
Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:


Board.
Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Board.  Ok...this pick was just wrong.  Should have been another wall.
Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:


Board.  When I hit 20, you are dead.
Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:



The deck ended up like this:


This deck is insane. It does everything I want, which is nothing. I also think that Spawnsire is really good, but nobody else seems to.

Round 1:
I end up just destroying him. G1 I lead with cryptologist and just play some walls and stabilize. He tries to level his beastbreaker, but I oust it to buy time, then deprive it on the way back down. The card advantage from the cryptologist that went unanswered is way too much for him to deal with. He is playing a token deck, so I board in the Soul Warden for the Pathraizer.
G2 I lead with the Soul Warden that I boarded in. He ends up conceding when I am around 40 life and play the first threat of the game.

Round 2:
My opponent opens the game with t2 kiln fiend, turn 3 growth spasm, turn 4 growth spasm staggershock. This puts me to 5, but then I play Sea Gate Oracle on 3, chump on 4, and play another on 4. From here I get to start playing real walls and hold down his team. Eventually I get stabilized and play Lord and start to level. A few turns later his team dies along with his hopes and dreams (of winning the game).

I board out the Pathrazer for the 3rd 4/5 wall.
Game 2 is the most fun I have played in a long time. I end up stabilizing pretty quickly despite him playing sol ring on t1. He kills my Lord for staggershock and wrap in flame. I am just left with a bunch of walls while he has Hedron-Field Purists so I just can’t attack. I realize that I have 2 ways left to win the game. The first is Spwansire getting everything. The other way comes down to Ousting my wall every turn and buying it back. The good thing is that at one point I have deprive and 2 walls to buy it back to his 1 card in hand. Well we play about 10 more turns. Most of the turns look like this:

He ends up leveling up everything for no real reason, and I debate moving the knight to infinity and beyond. I end up depriving a vent sentinel. Then I draw Spawnsire. I decide not to cast it and use my last wall to buy back deprive, then oust my wall. He does something dumb and I cast the Spawnsire. 2 Turns later I have instant speed 37/37 annihilate 9 and I get your shit.

Round 3 is slightly disappointing. G1 I get blown out by Grotag-Siege Runner. In the main. At this point I debate whether or not to kill myself. I would have been able to stabilize without that, but as a result I die…to stomper cub. At this point I do kill myself.
Game 2 is the standard. He plays some dudes, I play some bigger ones. He draws the grotag runner again and puts me on the back foot. I end up playing more 4/5s and he can’t get past them.
Game 3 I just don’t draw anything. I see beyond twice and only see lands. I draw some more with survival cache and rebuying see beyond. I just draw more lands. I die to a stomper cub again. If I hit an oust or guard duty I would have easily stabilized and won the game.

The deck ended up sick. It was one of the most fun decks I have played in a long time and all I ever want to do in the format. Attacking sucks and should be avoided at all costs. The only guys that it is acceptable to attack with cost 7 or more mana. If you are doing something else, you are probably doing it wrong.

4 comments:

WhatALuckyTopdeck said...

Some comments on your picks:

P1P1 - Predator is fine but I would have taken the removal at black. This pick is pretty close though.

P1P2 - Green Invoker is insane and is a much better pick then the wall here, especially with no targets.

P1P3 - Oust is good but me and Kai probably take Training Grounds here to make it wild. Goes well with Green invoker too.

P1P4 - Guardians is only good with Chariot, while Cliffhaven is tied with Dawnglare Invoker as the best common in white. Cliffhaven by a mile.

P1P6 - While I agree that Hellion Eruption is late, I probably stick to the plan and take Spy Patrol here. Kai would probably disagree. Blue white levelers may be open and it's ok to abandon the first two picks.

P1P10 - Seems like blue is open, that's nice.

P2P1 - Good pick here, though I agree with your statement that he's not that good in the ramp deck, but you don't have that yet. I'd be u/g at this point and probably abandoning the Knight. Shame to pass that Teacher.

P2P2 - Rewarded, though it sucks to see quality removal go.

P2P3 - As much as I love Cache, Vendetta or Staggershock are better splash cards and you are very likely to pick up a Spasm, Prism, or Giant by the end of P3. I take Vendetta here.

P2P5 - I can see how he's a win condition, and I know you had success, but damn this guy is awful lol. Regress is very good in this format.

P3P1 - Spicy pack. I'd be taking the Treespeaker at first glance, but I am Captain of Team Greed.

Anyways, our drafts would have differed after P1 but I liked your picks the rest of the draft with your strategy.

About your build, Skyscout is pretty damn good and can win the game if they can't deal with a flier. It also has cute tricks with Cryptologist and lands. I would have played it over Puncturing Light (Kai hates it though it's fine) or the Pathrazer, which just is awful if you have no way to ramp into it. You ended up boarding it out every time lol.

Good job on getting to the finals though I disagree with the level of sickness. G3 of the finals is why, you draw cards and don't put any pressure on the opp so he can win with a simple 5/3. Of course T1 Cryptologists and 37/37 annihilators will win the game :)

G2 of R2 I'm not sure why you just didn't Oust his Griffin and then start bashing. You can just counter it when it comes down and you have him dead in like 3 turns to flying beats, even through the Purists, you're still doing 4 a turn. You still can even buy back a spell with the wall and oust his Purists if you want to put him on an even better clock. Vent Sentinel doesn't do anything to you lol.

Kmaster said...

Team all blocks is a fun team. The fact you always had Deprive lock is fun too.

I win games with Ooze and Ulamog more than I win with anything else. I prefer the rando removal + blue cards strat over the big walls strat to buy time since the big walls plan is kold to utility guys like brimstone mage or crypto/chrono.

Just finished the G/R/b big ramp draft. x-0. Ooooooooooooooze.

Kmaster said...

Also would've p1p1 and p1p5 Sphinx Bone Wand and not been able to lose a game :)

mikeshentu said...

I think Sphinx-bone wand is a much better wincon than the two eldrazi, especially considering you have 8 instants/sorceries (two of which have rebound) plus two Mnemonic Walls. If you had a wand out when you were using Oust on your wall, the game would've been over real fast. Not to mention Naturalize is the only real answer to Wand in the format.