Saturday, June 12, 2010

Kelley Draft #4 (8-4)

Decided to do another 8-4 after I came home from FNM, which I didn't make top 8 at 2-1 because I lost in the first round against an awful because I didn't draw a single spell (not creature) in games 2 and 3 with a combined 20 turns.  Guess what deck I was playing?  BONE WAND!

Pack 1, Pick 1:




My Pick:


Best two cards here are Student and Narco and I am Mayor of Greedville so I want both.  I am all in on tribal knights.

Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:


There's that narco I wanted.  I could take the better card in Pelekka Wurm but I want to be in u/w if I can.

Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Not sure if this was the pick over Oracle but I am absolutely in love with this card.  It's always high on my list in any white deck.

Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:


As much as I want to lay it up with the leveler I take the better card in Skyscout.  Obviously it didn't make the cut (keep reading ^^).

Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:


At this point I committed myself to all in u/w, maybe levelers if it's open.  I hope that drake tables.

Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Gah, three cards I want but I'll take white's best (or second best) common.

Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:


Ding!  Better then Guard Duty without value antelopes and I'll play multiples of this.

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Ok, need some leveler support.

Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:


Wow.

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:


Did I mention I was all in?

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:


This card is maindeckable but I regulated it to the SB.

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:


Ding!  I almost took this guy out of this pack the first time around.

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:


SB I guess.

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Obviously we open two on color rares and both are shit.  But I am all in so obviously we take Kurtis' favorite uncommon.  I hope either the Knight, Oracle, or Invoker table.

Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Ding!  Now I need levelers.  Sad to pass the Mammoth Umbra

Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:


This is probably wrong but I wanted to main deck a Deprive or two.  I should have probably splashed the Vendetta or Forked Bolt.

Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:


Wow!  Plan tribal knights just got stronger!

Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:


I wasn't sure what the pick was here.  Maybe if I took Vendetta I take Cutthroat and hope for Teachers.  I took the value antelope because I have a Narcolepsy and could get a Drake/Mammoth/Guard Duty.  Should I have took Blue Invoker?

Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Been a long time since I had quad anything in draft.

Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:


Value for my antelope.  I figure I want to be aggressive and not take the Gomozoa.

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Another playable.

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:


Didn't get any of the cards I wanted to table, but this card is good with fliers.  Didn't make the cut though.

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:


Jacob convinced me to main deck this though I nearly sided it out every match because I played tokens obviously.

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


I really want the Umbra but we are all in.

Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Rancid pack, so I take what is good against me.

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Another Vendetta, obviously.  I need more levelers though, by a mile.

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:


Just taking any leveler now.

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:


These guys go this late? lol.

Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:


Ding!

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Ok, this is just retarded lol.  How are these so late?

Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:


-------------------

Photobucket
I've never played a deck this wild in my life.  Ever.  No card higher then CMC 3, 8 levelers, 3 teachers, 4 drakes, and 2 time of heroes.  DUBS student!  Even with the ridiculousness of this I didn't think I would win anything with it.

R1 I played against a r/b deck that just had DI removal.  Induce, Staggershock, Vendetta, Heat Ray, etc etc.  G1 I kept a hand and drew 6 xtra cards and only had Drake, Drake, Teacher and lost to 3/1 invoker and Lagac Lizard.  I thought he was playing a Max Williams deck after this game, though he corpsehatched my guy and Vendettad my 1/1 to get through.  G2 and G3 I got Time of Heroes and grinded him down obviously easily.

I had scouted all the opponents good except the guy that finished last.  2 mins isn't enough and obviously I play him, which is grixis control, about the only deck out of the three that can beat me.  I had see Manticore, Narcolepsy, and Staggershock as cards to worry about.  G1 he handily beats me with Guard Gomozoa, which brickwalls long enough for him to beat me with Lust for War and Narcolepsy on a creature.  He shows Keening Stone when he was way ahead, I don't know why.  I sided in Demystify, which was key G2 in removing his Lust for War so I could win the race.  I also saw a Vendetta.  G2 he got color stuck and I saw Magma, but I have Time of Heroes, Drake, and a max level Adept and it killed him in like 3 swipes.  G3 he could not beat Wavewatch due to Islandwalk, even though he had dubs regress to buy him many turns.  He didn't draw Magmaw, Keening Stone, or Manticore and I won.

R3 I am playing against the w/g deck I scouted, where cards I noted were Pelekka Wurm, Mammoth Umbra, and Narcolepsy.  Obviously in G1 he opens with T2 Tuskcaller (whoops, didn't see that and I literally can't beat it with my deck).  We stalled for a bit (he can't beat my 4/4 drakes, he has no removal) and he just elephanted me out.  I did see a Drake Umbra before I narco'd that elephant.  Didn't matter much though.  G2 guess what he had on T2?  Obviously Tuskcaller.  I was tilting at this point because it was literally the only way I can not beat him.  I landed a Outrider and Cliffhaven, and when I went to level my Cliffhaven he had Leaf Arrow.  Glad I had that Time of Heroes in my hand, bleh.  He just kept making elephants and I stupidly attacked with my Outrider which killed one guy when he triple blocked.  I figured it cost me the match.  My side had one Drake, Student at max, and two teachers while had had about 6 3/3s, though he was stuck on four mana.  I drew stone nothing and was about one turn away from dying when he missed his double elephant trigger (he was really bad).  Next turn I drew Knight with Deprive back, and did the math and he couldnt' swing back for lethal and I had him dead OB with next attack.  He punted obv.  He complained in chat how he was stuck on 4 mana with about 6 spawn tokens in play...  G3 I had the sick hand and he was stuck on green and mana.  See the screenshot for how the game went down:


Photobucket

No comments: