Monday, June 7, 2010

Kai Draft #6 (4-3-2-2)

Internet died after MOCS. Went to bed. Woke up. 7 in queue. Battles.


Pack 1, Pick 1:



My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:


Skycout is a fine creature on its own. Is insane with creatures that have tap abilities like Cryptologist, Echo Mage or Brimstone Mage, which we would be very happy to get. Deprive should wheel.
Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Not going to play 2 Skyscout. Drake has a lot of potential. And would not enjoy facing off against it.
Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:


There's that Echo Mage I was talking about earlier. Seems I'm the only blue drafter at the table. Bodes well for my chances.
Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:


Pretty much looking to draft Grixis valuetown to maximize the Echo Mage and have ample time to abuse Sphinx.
Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Sea Gate isn't good enough to stick to the colors for. Slash is just better than Soul Kiss. Artisan costs a lot and we're not necessarily interested in using up picks on spawn generators. 
Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Ooze will be hard for us to beat while also being potentially splashable. There's no way the Narcolepsy will wheel though and it's the best card for the deck we're currently trying to draft.
Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Actually took me a while. Domestication is amazing. Commander is however a dragon on 4. Having the ability to aggro someone out is never to be underestimated. Have lost enough games to Dragonlord to appreciate the rare levelers. We're also not vulnerable to Domestication so don't need it for hatedraft.
Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:


The See Beyond is always playable but not extraordinary. Hartebeest can grab Domestication or Narcolepsy and will be fine if we decide to play it.
Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Don't need the Hatcher to accel into anything. Spellblade is a high risk high reward card (needing some Distortion Strikes or Goblin Tunnelers to do much), which we aren't interested in as a control deck. The land is underwhelming, but exactly what we need.
Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:


The red is now way better than the white. No reason to take lope over See Beyond like last time.
Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:


Sometimes, you need to deal with an Eldrazi. Also works very well with 2x Induce Despair.
Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:



Was very happy with this draft.


Round 1: U/B Levelers

Game 1: He plays some nonthreatening guys to the tune of 1/1 Champion's Drake and See Gate Oracle. My Oracle holds off his while his Drake pecks at me. Echo Mage eventually levels enough to be able to send his Soul Kiss back at his Null Champion when he used it to kill my unleveled Commander. He can't answer Sphinx.

SB: -1 Lay Bare +1 Perish the Thought on the draw.

Game 2: He does very little while See Beyond smoothes my draw. Eventually get him with Deprive + Mnemonic Wall. 2/3 flier does most of the work and 7/6 wurm finishes.

Round 2: G/W/U/r rampdrazi

From watching replays I know he's pretty light on threats but does have Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre. Luckily that one can be countered.

Game 1: I play a turn 3 Echo Mage and start leveling. I also Domesticate an Overgrown Battlements, effectively +2 mana for me. He has turn 5 Frost Wind Invoker. I even up the board with Skyscout.His attempted Domestication on Echo Mage meets Deprive, and he Flame Slashes my Skyscout. I Slash back and continue the beats with Echo Mage and a newly played Sea Gate Oracle. Copied Staggershock + rebound copies finish him from 12. Turns out extra mana is really good in my deck.

SB: Nothing.

Game 2: This game I get to pull off Induce Despair on Snake Umbra'd Nest Invader. Heat Ray Stomper Cub. Memoirs both back. Mnemonic Wall the Memoirs. I don't draw any threats so we just both sit across from each other not doing much. He Domesticates my 3/3 Commander and serves for a while. He gets Artisan of Kozilek for a Sea Gate Oracle. I answer back with Wurm since he can't really attack into the Induce Despair. I draw a Sphinx and combine Induce with Heat Ray to kill the Artisan and bash. He answers with Gelatinous Genesis for X=4. I Domesticate back my Commander and can serve with Sphinx. He doesn't draw his one outer of Lust for War so I win the next turn.

Round 3: R/W

Game 1: My opponent is stuck on 4 lands playing random threats that die to removal. I play Sphinx on 6 and he doesn't scoop. I mainphase draw a card since I have nothing I want to play with 7 mana and attacking for 7 is better. He has the Repel the Darkness to cantrip. I allow this. He untaps, gets the 5th land, and plays Gideon Jura. We expected as much and have the Deprive causing the concession.

SB: - Lay Bare -Skeletal Wurm +2 Perish the Thought.
I don't see the deck losing to anything but Gideon. Wurm isn't needed as a finisher and all his guys are small enough for a regular sized Induce Despair to kill.

Game 2: He starts out with Kiln Fiend which eats Heat Ray after dealing me 4. Dawnglare Invoker is answered by Commander + 2 levels. He has Battle Rattle Shaman and I decline the trade. 4/4 Commander brings the heat and I Flame Slash the Shaman. He plays Gideon to assassinate Commander. I am unable to completely kill the Gideon in time to stop Rapacious One from killing me.

Game 3: He stalls on 3 Mountains. I stall on 4 Islands. I have 4/4 Commander and Domesticate his Lavafume Invoker. His other creature is a Kiln Fiend. He scoops at 8 life.

Dragons are good. 4 color ramp is bad (unless very precisely built). GGgrixis, still the best archetype in every format.

7 comments:

Matt McCullough said...

Would have probably jumped into green with team ooze. You're pretty much heavy blue at that point, lookiing to splash black and/or red. GU is a fine combination, giving you the ability to both accelerate out your multiple bombs and fixes mana to allow a double splash easier.
Also given that Ooze was 2nd pick, you can be fairly certain to pick up some more green in pack 2.

Unknown said...

I would've taken the 2nd sea gate oracle over the cadaver imp.
Would've then cut the scorpion and played the antelope, cutting some unnecessary swamps. I don't think this actually hurts your mana.

I don't think coralhelm commander vs. domestication is very close.

Kmaster said...

The green's coming from one direction. Whereas the R/B should come from both. The bombs are better served by removal than by green accel. I also had enough power I didn't really need to run the 4 color special and could be just focusing on pure stability.

Oracle and Imp are fairly close. Imp is better with Wall/bombs which I had. Antelope is fine in deck but unnecessary fourth color.

Yea. Dragon is better.

hwu said...

I'm in awe of your prowess at draft.

Is grixis really the best in every format??

mikeshentu said...

I have to admit, this deck was pretty spicy. Agree with Oracle > Imp, though.

How did you end up doing at MOCS?

Kmaster said...

0-2'd first two rounds to punting. Just had no idea where I was. Lost to red around round 5. Won other 5.

Unknown said...

I don't like imp in this deck at all. In theory it's good because you have good creatures to return, but there are so few of them that it'll be useless a lot of the time. I think the double black stretches your mana base a little more than a single white would, too. Either way I think it's fine because you're almost mono-blue and have double see beyond which fixes everything.