Saturday, June 26, 2010

Kai Draft #12 (8-4)

This draft started off...less than spectacularly. The finished product though, is a work of art. Enjoy!


Pack 1, Pick 1:
 



My Pick:


This is probably the worst pack 1 pick 1 I've ever seen for triple Rise. I have a distaste for Tuk tuk, but I really couldn't fault anyone for taking him over Crusher.
Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Invoker and Thought Gorger are both stronger, but Giant gives stability to any deck he's in and is good with first pick Crusher.
Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Okay, definitely the worst third pick I've ever seen. Seriously considered Leaf Arrow.
Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:


3 people on my right that have no idea what they're doing. Cool. Maybe draft will work out after all.
Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Scorpion helps cut black, but Scorpion isn't a signal to go into black anyways. Gnarlid is a much stronger threat.
Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:


The best card on the wheel was Ancient Stirrings... this is not where you want to be at the end of pack 1.
Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


All in.
Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Good thing I'm all in. :D
Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Gotta stick to the plan.
Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:


4th pick Wurm was a huge signal, and with multiple late umbras we're very much looking forward to some Aura Gnarlids in pack 3. Definitely sticking to green.
Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


No green cards, Vendetta is the best splash as it kills almost anything, is not color intensive, and only costs 1 mana.
Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Better than another Cub or Snaps. Easily splashable, and interacts with Utility creatures which we need. Since otherwise we'd be kold to a Dawnglare Invoker.
Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Don't need another Snake Umbra. Predator helps speed up the deck and is a fine body to carry umbras.
Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Has trample.
Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Was foil. And is very good in the fatty/aura deck as a reload and a way to negate any narcolepsies or guard duties.
Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:

DING!
Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Not going to be running the 4/4 as double black will be hard to get. Hatedraft the card that is most likely to beat me.
Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Sticking to the colors pays off.
Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:


I decided the Demon wasn't worth messing up the mana for the Hydra. Also the Bramblesnap is very suboptimal in the build, with only Growth Spasm and Kozilek's Predator providing spawn, but having trample is golden with the 3 umbras and the Chariot. And I really didn't have better maindeck options.

Round 1: G/U/b

Game 1:


He did not have multiple Regresses or a huge Induce Despair.

Game 2: I keep Growth Spasm, Stomper Cub x2, Wildheart Invoker 3 Forest on the play. I draw a Gnarlid on 3 so play it over the Spasm. It gets in for 2 as my opponent played a Sea Gate Oracle on 3 and I follow up with Invoker. Opponent plays Skywatcher Adept and doesn't level, telegraphing removal. I bash with both and my Gnarlid is Last Kiss'd. I have 2 Stomper Cubs while he has Vendetta for Invoker, Wavewatch + level, and Narcolepsy. I draw the Momentous Fall and hold it in hand while ramping with Giant and Spasm. I unleash the fall which draws into Boar Umbra for Gnarlid #2 and Snake Umbra for Cub and the game ends with a concession.

Round 2: U/B/r

Game 1: I mull on the play into Bramblesnap, 3 Forest, Khalni Hydra, Stomper Cub. I get to go Bramble into Boar Umbra and bash. On turn 3 he casts Perish the Thought and takes Hydra over Stomper Cub and Momentous Fall. When I have 3 forests in play and no more lands in hand. The 8-4 queues were a little soft today. I rip the Forest the next turn, so I happily bash away knowing if he ever tries to remove my 4/4 I can draw 4 cards. He does nothing and his Enforcer is on team no attacks no blocks. When he's at 4 and has 5 untapped mana I draw a Snake Umbra and suit up. There are no responses. I attack, he blocks, then casts Consume the Meek. I choose to let the Snake Umbra take one for the team and the Boar + Bramble deal him the final 4.

Game 2: I keep Gnarlid, Cub, Wurm, and 4 Forests on the draw. He plays a Zulaport Enforcer into Echo Mage but then misses lands and just levels the Mage while bluffing Vendetta. I drop dudes on him and overwhelm him with fat + umbras when he finally taps out.

I split finals as I was barely awake at this point.

1 comment:

hwu said...

Nice deck, Kai. This reminds me a lot of the green black rock (aggressive creatures + umbras) archetype, though your deck would probably still win without the two black cards.