Monday, June 28, 2010

Matt Draft #3

Haven't run a Rise draft in a while, since I tilted a little after losing 4 straight to my opponent playing t5 drana in at least one of the games.
Pack 1, Pick 1:

My Pick:


I didn't really want to be UW levelers going into the draft, but the grounds is powerful enough that I'm going to take it here. The next best cards are dawnglare and knight, which is somewhat awk, but that's not a concern right now.
Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:


My vote for best non-rare in the set
Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Levelers seems like the obvious deck here
Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:


Nothing outstanding, but deprive is fine in the levelers deck
Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:


This is pretty bad. At this point, since UW is fairly overdrafted online, I figure its drying up. With a looter and a deprive, wall moves us into the removal/value UBx deck, which I like a lot. Wilds is considerable to stay open, but I think wall is a strong enough card to take here.
Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Vom. None of these cards are good enough, so I take the solid board card in case we stay white.
Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:


Good for the removal deck and good against uw
Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:


By now, there's no way we can be levelers unless pack 2 ends up being stupid. Memoir is pretty insane in the value deck, so I snap take it.
Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:


Naturalize is considerable, but distortion strike, along with some of our earlier picks, allows the kiln fiend UR beats deck to be a possibility.
Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:


1/7 blocks in the grixis deck, and is pretty insane in the UR deck as a 7 power unblockable beatstick
Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


No black cards at this point, so bolt gets the nod over last kiss. No reason to take beastbreaker and jump ship. Also there's both a kiln fiend and a strike in this pack, so that might be worth looking into.
Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Not much else for us, but regress is solid in grixis or UR
Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:


3rd pick vendetta is a pretty clear signal. Time to start getting max value
Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:


You can never have too many
Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Now we have 2 ways to win the game. Only 1 more to go
Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:


Both the fiend and the strike tabled, but at this point we only have 2 creatures capable of attacking, and crusher isn't that good in the fast red aggro deck. Wilds assures us the ability to splash vendetta and perhaps lets us splash something else down the line
Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Now we're set on win cons
Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:


That's a nice gift. Definitely fits in our deck
Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Must. Get. More. Value.
Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:


acceptable board card
Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:



Final Deck
1 Enclave Cryptologist
1 Vendetta
1 Forked Bolt
2 Fleeting Distraction
2 Prophetic Prism
3 Deprive
1 See Beyond
1 Spawning Breath
2 Regress
1 Staggershock
2 Surreal Memoir
1 Mnemonic Wall
1 Valakut Fireboar
1 Sphinx Bone Wand
1 Ulamog's Crusher
1 Artisan of Kosilek
1 Heat Ray
10 Island
5 Mountain
1 Swamp
1 Evolving Wilds

Round 1: Vs. RG Beats
Game 1, he plays a t2 nest invader into a turn 3 daggerback basilisk. We staggershock them both, then play surreal memoir. He times out

Round 2: Vs. UW Value Auras
From watching replays, I see that while he's uw, he doesn't have many levelers, but multiple totem beasts, eel umbras, hyena umbras, and eldrazi conscription.
We Win the roll and choose to draw
Game 1: I keep a hand of mnemonic wall, vendetta, 3 islands, swamp, and bone wand. Although it doesn't have red, I figure the vendetta and wall should be enough, since his deck appears pretty slow. He then proceeds to curve soul's attendent into outrider into teacher. The outrider gets vendetta'd, but then we proceed to draw 5 consecutive red spells, and when we finally draw a land he has lay bare for the wall.
Board: +1 puncturing light, -1 fireboar. +1 plains -1 island I cut the fireboar since it didn't brick wall the dudes I should actually lose to, and it's not much of an attacker in this matchup. Game 2: We kill everything and he concedes to a turn 8 artisan
Game 3: We again kill everything he plays for a while. At turn 9, we get into a scenario where neither player is playing anything, but our hand is 4 removal spells to his hand of 2 cards. He then rips teacher into outrider into survival cache into 2x antelopes, while we drawn 4 lands and a regress. We draw a bone wand, but the 2 eel umbras that he fetched make it impossible to kill all his guys, which by then included a max-level skywatch adept. Once we've played out our hand, including a crusher, he slams the eldrazi conscription on his last remaining antelope and we die.

4 comments:

Kmaster said...

There had to be a way for you to win game three. Even drawing 4 lands in a row the four removal spell + Regress should've been enough.

armlx said...

Lol at G1 rage disconnect. Also, probably punted.

armlx said...

http://www.facebook.com/notes/tim-aten/drafting-with-parv-redux-the-actual-dregs/405842441361

Actually found other side of the match up. Looks like you could have afforded to take more damage and used removal more efficiently.

Matt McCullough said...

Report was from memory as I haven't taken the time to go through the replays carefully yet. I definitely misplayed the spawning breath in game 3, and probably several other places as well. Definitely no way I should have lost.