Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Matt Draft #4. Now with 100% more Jacob

Sometimes you're just in your apartment doing nothing when Jacob offers to ringer a draft with you.
Pack 1, Pick 1:

My Pick:


First pick dragons are always tolerable.
Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:


With the first pick commander, I want to move into an aggresive UW or UB deck, and although this pack is fairly weak, scorpion is acceptable at removing chump blockers and being another dude.
Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


3rd pick narco is a solid gift
Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:


Yay for marginal board cards being the 4th best card in the pack
Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Possibly wrong. The spellblade was probably the correct pick here.
Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Definitely on the levelers plan
Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:


yeah, definitely leveling some dudes
Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Some good green cards, I'm happy taking the cutthroat, though
Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


A poor pack for me, but scorpion is value
Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Short on removal, so last kiss is fine
Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:


recurring insight is tempting, but the dude is a more consistant pick
Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:


DING
Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:


No reason to hate a white card from jacob, so I take the wall I probably won't play
Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


I need critical mass of levelers. And Spy Patrol is among the best. Can always pick up removal later.
Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Burn you out
Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Nothing great, though the umbra is a fine board card and something I'm ok playing as a 22nd card
Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:


I have 2 narco's, have passed few Guard Duties. Get in my deck
Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:



Final Deck
10 Swamp
8 Island
2 Zulaport Enforcer
2 Narcolepsy
1 Champion's Drake
1 Coralheim Commander
2 Halimar Wavewatch
1 Hada Spy Patrol
1 Null Champion
1 Last Kiss
1 Regress
1 Gloomhunter
1 Nirkana Cutthroat
1 Venerated Teacher
2 Bala Ged Scorpion
1 Thought Gorger
2 Frostwind Invoker
1 Pestilence Demon
1 Suffer the Past

Suffer the Past and gloomhunter make the cut over escaped null and any of the tricks (eel umbra, reality spasm, perish the thought) due to wanting to be as aggresive as possible. The deck is lacking in hard removal with just the narco's and last kiss, which don't deal with everything. Just going to play dudes and attack
Round 1: Vs. UBw
I assume white was his splash, since he never played more than 1 plains a game, but he played spells of all 3 colors equally
Game 1: I keep a slow hand with no levelers but 2 narco's a regress, and a teacher. If necessary, I have the option of rebuying the teacher, and have removal for his first 2 guys. 3 of my 4 blue sources get contaminated by turn 6, while the only other creature I've drawn is a frostwind invoker. A student of warfare and merfolk skyscout eventually kill me after a couple turns of chumping with some scorpions.
Game 2: A turn 2 spy patrol, turn 3 level, turn 4 null champ+narco your guard gomazoa (I had the backup narco) kill him before he does anything relevent
Game 3: Turn 2 null champ, turn 3 cutthroat, and a champions drake get there. He guard duties the cutthroat immediately, but does nothing else and dies to 11 power of dudes once my champion hits max

Round 2: Vs UR Aggro
Game 1: Null champ trades with a tunneler on 2, since we have plenty more guys and the tunneler could pose a problem. His turn 3 spellblade gets a hit in due to distortion strike and draws 2 thanks to a regress. Our cutthroat starts attacking, and a champ drake and zulaport provide more pressure. He doesn't do much else, but gets a hit in with a fireboar once since we don't really care about going to 10 with him dead in 2 turns. He then proceeds to play a conquering manticore, forcing us to chump. We attack, leaving back enough guys to block and live, but a magmaw burns us out
Game 2: We last kiss a turn 3 spellblade, then turn 4 play a coralheim commander and immediately make it a 3/3. After max leveling and narco'ing a wavewatch, we play a thought gorger pitching 2 lands. The gorger trades with magmaw since he's already at 8, and although he stalls with a regress he concedes 1 turn later.
Game 3: We choose to play a turn 2 wavewatch instead of running out the commander. He has tunneler+sea gate oracle to get in for 1 every turn, but after he misses his 4th land drop a scorpion kills an unleveled cryptologist. He narco's our commander that we leveled to a 3/3, and rips a land to play a seige-runner. We perish the thought, seeing regress, fireboar, and magmaw, taking the regress, allowing the wavewatch to kill him in 2 swings (he's a 7/7)

Round 3: Vs. RB Spawns
Game 1: We have turn 2 commander on the play, and pretty quickly get him down to 4. He plays 2 hatchers to chump our rando non-fliers, then flame slashes the commander. Essence feed gets him up to 7, but as soon as we hit 8 mana we slam the pestilence demon and he is cold
Game 2: We keep a hand of commander, scorpion, 5 lands. Turn 2 commander races his null champion, and the scorpion later trades with the champ. However, we continue to draw more lands while his double battle-rattle is enough to kill us.
Game 3: We again have a turn 2 commander, and on the play we are ahead in the race vs. his null champion. A Wavewatch gets leveled once on 4, and maxes out when he has just a null champ, cutthroat, and bloodthorne vamp out. I play shrivel to force him to sac a guy and still chump the wavewatch to not die, but he rips flame slash for the commander with cutthroat able to trade with my wavewatch. A narco on the cutthroat gives him a turn, but the crusher he plays is bigger than our 6/6. With him at 1 and us with 9 lands, I try to 1 time the pestilence demon to burn him out (regress also kills him, and any creature is an out if he blanks), but rip my 11th land of the game and although I chump for a turn I die to the 8/8

It was dissapointing to be so close, especially since I think his deck was much worse than mine. The only removal I saw in any game was a single flame slash, and he didn't show any real way to abuse his spawn tokens. I flooded massively in game 2 and 3 to lose, but was also pretty lucky to have commander on 2 every game, and in all fairness the deck I played in the semis probably should have beaten me. Oh well, at least I didn't lose to drana, and managed to end my cold streak.

4 comments:

kdem2357 said...

I stopped reading after your second pick. Seriously, that is just awful. Not only is hatcher better then scorps by a mile, but why do you decide that you have to go into UB aggro from a first pick air elemental? And even if you do, I am not even sure that Scorps is the best card for that archetype. Eel umbra and invoker both might be better.

WhatALuckyTopdeck said...

I agree with Kyle you already had forced u/b levelers after p2 and didn't even see any great ones. Definitely disagree with shipping a Narcolepsy for Spy Patrol because you needed removal. But I read all your results and you had T2 commander like 75% of your games, and that will win any draft. Good job.

armlx said...

I disagree with both of you. By taking Artisan, Jacob is signaling he wants to go GRx and there is no reason for Matt to fight him. The only actual deck that would play Commander and Hatcher is UBr control and it is just as happy with a Scorpion that isn't on the splash.

Also, Spy Patrol is Matt's 5th Leveler. Having the proper number of synergistic cards in your deck is far more important than removal, and usually 7 or so is the right number of levelers to ensure value on Drakes and Teachers.

Matt, I do think you severely underrate Perish the Thought in general and underrate Eel Umbra in UB levelers. Perish is a good generic answer, something which is often missing in this format. Eel Umbra is good at protecting your investments, much like Hyena Umbra in the UW deck. I probably would never play more than 2 Perish in a deck, or more than 1 Eel Umbra unless I was short a card or something, but they are definitely both viable options.

jayelk said...

Yeah, I want to thank Matt for actually cooperating unlike Kai whom always even if we figure out we are next to each other, still ends up in my same colors :).