Monday, June 7, 2010

Kai Draft #7 (4-3-2-2)

So Nixtix is LLM this week. I loved the format so bought a set and jumped in.

Pack 1, Pick 1:




My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Douser is a better card, but not willing to go into a third color.  Should avoid color clashes later on with neighbor.
Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Shipping Merfolk downstream.
Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Blue is obviously wild open on my right. Ignoring the signals would be terrible. Took the more powerful effect.
Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Should not ever wheel. We're definitely going into blue now.
Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:



As Howard would say. Kids don't know. Ameoboid Changeling is amazing.
Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


This Doran was foil. Sold for 60. So excuse the obvious pick of Nameless Inversion over it.
Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Stronger card than Moonglove though obviously a bit problematic since the only other white card is Brion. However we're willing to gamble a bit and besides Crib will handle anything I will actually lose to whereas 2 damage won't necessary. I'm looking at you Vigor.
Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Snap back to reality. Not going to try to support the Briarhorn. Aquitects is an excellent creature on its own and synergizes well.
Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:


We like to have a little fun sometimes. Correct pick was Wings.
Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Violet Pall is nice, but Mind Shatter ends games.
Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack's Disdain won't be very good in the deck whereas the changling synergizes and can stall ass.
Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Shard Volley is abstractedly stronger. Festercreep kolds entire archetypes. Have the removal count I won't need to splash the Volley.
Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Just a hatedraft.
Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:


No fear of Bowmaster falling into the wrong hands. Negate is a reasonable board card.
Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:


I think the draft went pretty well. The Brion will be a double splash but its power is worth it.


While I would normally play Ponder I chose not to do so in this deck. It should've been played over the Festercreep. I made this change every round as none of my opponents were particularly vulnerable to the creep. Whiskergill took a sideboard seat as I didn't need the beef or the flying defense. He would definitely come in against the blue decks.

Round 1 G/W dudes
Game 1: His deck showed no real synergy as he started off Cenn's Tactician and no other Kithkin. Leveled Cenn refused to trade with Silvergill Adept on the attack. I played a Dewdrop Spy, seeing Sentry Oak on top of his library, and used my Spy to Prowl the Latchkey Faerie. He had no flying defense so he died.

Game 2: He again has Cenn's Tactician and I mainphase Tarfire it. I have turn 4 Brion and he succumbs to the beats it provides capped off with Amoeboid Changling teaming up with Streambed Aquitects to pump Dewdrop Spy to deal the final 6.

Round 2: R/W Giants
Game 1: He played some creatures that were not threats. I evoked Mournwhelk and played some guys which died to removal. Then he played Harbinger for Thundercloud Shaman. We knew he had that one since we had watched his replays. Set up a board to trade Spitebellows for the Shaman while still being fine against the 3/4. I ripped Footbottom Feast and stacked Dreamspoiler Witch, Latchkey Faerie, Spitebellows, Mournwhelk. Hardcast Mournwhelk hellbent him again. Dreamspoiler prowled out Latchkey and he died shortly after.

Game 2: We exchange early removal and I come out ahead as I'm able to play Amoeboid Changling, Latchkey, and Brion uncontested. He Harbingers for Shaman and I get my beat on for 3 and prowl out the other. His Shaman kills one Faerie as Amoeboid Changling saves the other one by making it all creature types. He has the Shard Volley to end my air force. Brion stares down across Shaman, Harbinger, and War-Spike. He gets in an attack with the Shaman. I evoke Nevermaker on his War-spike and serve with Brion. He declines to chump. He negates the life gain with another 4 point attack next turn. I draw nothing and chump + throw the Changling next turn. I draw Fathom Trawl into a guy and throw it at his face with Brion for the win.

Round 3: Some n00b named qbturtle15 somehow meandered into the finals. We split.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Kai, you're so wild.

I actually loved hearthcage giant in this format, but I think the pick was goldmeadow harrier. 8-drops used to be uncastable, remember? but I guess you've never been worried about things being uncastable.

Unknown said...

Who covers LLM drafts? Nice. Doran.

D. Overbeek said...

LLM is a great draft format. I wish it was the nix-tix format every week.