Monday, May 31, 2010

Dan Draft #5

Pack 1, Pick 1:




My Pick:


Pick was between Vendetta and Keening Stone.  Stone is too much of a bomb to take the removal.

Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:






Predator or Bolt here.  I just think Predator is a better card, and I definitely want to be drafting G in this format.


Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:



 

Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:

 
Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:



Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Now we have 3! - Show me the Hartebeests please!

Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Unimpressive pack.  I don't really want to take Guard Duty #4, and Ondu Giant will help us splash Vendetta and any other removal we get.


Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Knight is consistently good, and I'd have to splash another color to take Heat Ray.  This archtype also has trouble beating small fliers, and Knight definitely helps that.

Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Sol Ring get in my deck!

Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:


VALUE!

Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Again, take the Knight cause we have trouble beating it, and because Knight helps us beat other small fliers (U levelers, Gloomhunter, etc)

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Wall also would have been good in our deck, but we're low on win conditions now.

Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:




1 Swamp
1 Ondu Giant
1 Sporecap Spider
1 Totem-Guide Hartebeest
3 Guard Duty
1 Dreamstone Hedron
1 Vendetta
1 Growth Spasm
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Keening Stone
7 Forest
1 Ancient Stirrings
8 Plains
1 Ulamog's Crusher
1 Dawnglare Invoker
3 Knight of Cliffhaven
1 Soulbound Guardians
1 Kozilek's Predator
1 Joraga Treespeaker
1 Wildheart Invoker
2 Smite
1 Prophetic Prism

Sideboard
1 Hyena Umbra
1 Grotag Siege-Runner
1 Sporecap Spider
1 Shrivel
2 Living Destiny
1 Nema Siltlurker
1 Lavafume Invoker
1 Raid Bombardment
1 Distortion Strike
1 Forest
2 Naturalize
1 Perish the Thought
1 Kiln Fiend
1 Demystify
1 Glory Seeker
2 Goblin Tunneler
1 Swamp
1 Wildheart Invoker
1 Makindi Griffin





I think the deck turned out pretty well.  I would’ve liked one more win condition that wasn’t Ulamog’s Crusher, and one more Value-Hartebeest, but the plethora of removal should be enough to pull it out.

Round 1 – v GW Aura Gnarlid (do nothing)
Game 1, he did nothing.  I played Keening Stone.  Did see that he has a Eldrazi Conscription when I milled it…
Game 2, he did nothing.  I played Dawnglove Invoker.  Tapped his team a bunch of times.  Saw his whole deck g1, his only outs were Oust and Puncturing Light, so I slowly killed him.  Even got to the point where I wasn’t leveling my Knight of Cliffhaven, so if he cast Oust, I could sac my Dreamstone Hedron and still have the mana to replay Invoker and tap his team next turn.  He took 2 a turn for a while, and died.

1-0

Round 2-
Replays showed that he had Sarkhan the Mad, Drana and Disaster Radius.  We’re in for a grind here……
Game 1 –
I played Treespeaker and Totem-Guide Hartebeest.  He played Battle-Rattle Shaman and Dread Drone.  Drone traded for the Beast.  Later, I cast Smite on the Shaman, and Guard Duty’ed a Null Champion, and played Keening Stone. He Cadaver Imp’ed back a Battle Rattle Shaman, and I played a blocker and Stone’d him.  Then he Disaster Radius’ed me, and I died a turn before I could mill him.  But I did see most of his deck.  He’s also got 2x Corpse Hatch, Heat Ray, etc
Game 2 –
I cast Knight of Cliffhaven and Treespeaker, he cast a Null Champion.  I already had Keening Stone in my hand, so I traded levelers, and started ramping my mana with Growth Spasm.  He Bala Ged Scorpion’ed my Treespeaker, and we traded a couple more creatures.  He Imp’ed back Null Champion, I guard duty’ed it, and started milling him.  He didn’t have another real spell in time, and his 1/1 couldn’t race my Stone.
Game 3 –
I mulled to 5, but he missed his 4th land drop for infinite turns, while all I did was draw lands.  For a long time, I had Predator in play, and he had a Gloomhunter, and we just traded damage.  He finally drew a 4th land, and cast Battle Rattle Shaman.  I traded some guys with him, and Smite’d his Shaman, and drew Soulbound Guardians, who brick walled him until it was Corpse Hatched.  A couple more turns passed, I Guard Duty’ed a flier, and then he drew Sarkhan.  Then I ripped Keening Stone, and started milling him, and Guard Duty’ed his first 5/5 Dragon.  I got there 1 turn before he could Sarkhan me out.  

2-0

Round 3-
He has the Pestilence Demon, a lot of UB levelers and 3x Domestication…..
Game 1 –
He played Pestilence Demon…and I couldn’t play my Keening Stone around his counterspells….
Game 2 –
He missed his second Island, and I played an early Stone. He milled soon after....
Game 3 –
He played Fliers, and my Tiny Spider got Domesticated.

Comments on draft would be much appreciated.


2 comments:

Matt McCullough said...

Given the first pick Keening Stone, I would have definitely taken more control oriented cards. Forked Bolt over Predator pick 2 for sure.

The white was pretty insane for the rest of pack 1, but you like green a little too much.

Keening stone is an insane bomb that pretty much wins in 4 turns, but it combos with ways to have cards be in your opponents graveyard.

D. Overbeek said...

I do love green too much, I think it's insane in this format....
I've found that Keening Stone doesn't need other cards to enable it. By the time you've played it, there will already be enough cards in their yard to kill in 3ish turns, doing things to deliberately add cards to their yard is unnecessary. As long as you've set up a defensive position, they should die soon enough.


Also, sorry about the lack of decklist, I forgot. It is added now.