Thursday, May 27, 2010

Kai Draft #4 (8-4)



Pack 1, Pick 1:




My Pick:


Here the pick is between Nomad's Assembly and Kabira Vindicator. I went with the Assembly as I had heard it was good and have never had occasion to play it.
Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Jaddi is very good in the tokens deck. I decided to be on Team Real for once and take the playable card.
Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Considered Emerakul's Hatcher. Decided it was too early for accelerators and should be able to pick up better ones in green if I went that route. Artisan is better than Crusher. (Yes Ari, I know Crusher is turn 4.)
Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:


A bit of a gamble. Null Champ is on color. Bramblesnap is strong with spawn tokens. I wasn't sure what was going to happen so I took the more potentially powerful card.
Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Should've taken the Beetle. One mana 8/8's are good.
Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Discipline. The U/W level plan has long passed.
Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Still wasn't settled on colors. A weakness of going into this archetype without a clear colored bomb early like Pelakka Wurm or Pestilence Demon.
Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:


Decided Penon Blade and Eldrazi were enough finishers. So token maker over the equipment.
Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:


Potential finisher for the deck.
Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Hatedraft. As my removal is slow except for Staggershock and I can easily lose to the Cryptologist. Enforcer and Spasm are both good, but I don't need the guy and have given up green by this point.
Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Still had dreams of splashing Nomad's Assembly....which is 21 dudes with Skittering Invasion.
Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:


Cool.
Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:


Since we have a lot of token makers, this guy can be considerably more aggressive than usual. Also makes a great roadblock, which this deck needs.
Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:


No gain 7 for youuuuu.
Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:


The deck:
The maindeck Baneful Omen was probably terrible. I wanted to experiment though, look at that first pick. :)

Round 1: B/R
Game 1: He leads with turn one Mortician Beetle. I was wondering where that guy would end up. He gets to Inquisition my Pawn of Ulamog so he knows my hand is stacked with Corpsehatch and Consume the Meek. I  Corpsehatch his only other pressure in Soulsurge Elemental, follow up with Emerakul's Hatcher and Penon Blade. He dies.
Game 2: He has Beetle on one again. I stall without double black and can't cast anything in my hand. Including the Consume the Meek I rip on the last turn. His synergy with Emerakul's Hatcher is took much and I die having cast nothing.
Game 3: He concedes to Staggershock killing Zulaport Enforcer and Null Champion. Nice deck bro.

Round 2:  U/W walls
Game 1: From his replays I know his deck is very slow so I draw first. My Inquisition sees Guard Gomazoa, Eland Umbra, Affa Hound, and value lope. I take the Hound as it's the only thing capable of applying pressure. He plays some more defenders and an adept. I 4 for 1 him with Consume the Meek and play Skittering Invasion. He gets value in the form of Narcolepsy. Just has the fear. My follow up of both Shared Discoveries kills him easily with some beats combined with Corpsehatch and Baneful Omen dealing him 12 this game.

Game 2: I Perish the Thought all the value out of his antelope and leave him with all lands in hand and an Adept in play. Corpsehatch ends that plan. A Crusher is all it takes for him to scoop.

Round 3: R/G
Game 1: He plays some guys. They die to Corpsehatch.  He has Manticore but I had tokens so his attempt to teach me lessons with my Artisan failed.
Game 2: I cast Perish the Thought on 3 and see Staggershock, Stomper Cub, Spider Umbra, Disaster Radius, Akoum Boulderfoot, and land. I took the land. He has to hit running lands to have any threat. If he rips random creatures instead the Consume the Meek in my hand blows him out. He runners 2 lands and plays Cub. The beats it applies when Umbra'd up eventually gets me when he gets some more lands and takes out my board and forces Crusher to block. I played the rest of the game pretty poorly and he never played anything that was vulnerable to Consume the Meek. I think the Perish was correct though.
Game 3: My Pawn of Ulamog dies to Staggershock. Arrogant Bloodlord eats Flame Slash. His rando dudes get me as I draw some fat but no Corpsehatch.

3 comments:

D. Overbeek said...

P1 P3 - No love for Training Ground?
That card is insane and your 2nd pick pushes you towards the leveler deck...

WhatALuckyTopdeck said...

I made the same suggestion, especially when in my first Draftcap he told me to go for Training grounds in almost the exact same pick P1P3. And he lays it up with the crusher?

Kmaster said...

I was on a different plan this draft. P1p2 was obviously a diversion. Besides the rest of the pack sucked. Will guarantee draft a Training Ground deck before the format gets old.