Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Kelley Draft #1 (8-4)


Pack 1 Pick 1:



My Pick:


Went for the flexible pick P1P1. Hatcher is always good, as is Bolt and the Wall. Not a big fan of Recurring Insight.
Pack 1 Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 1 Pick 3:

My Pick:

I went all in on Training Grounds thinking it might be early. This card is insane in the leveler archetype. I really wanted to take the Predator or Invoker out of this Pack.
Pack 1 Pick 4:

My Pick:

Figured with Training Grounds I'd take green invoker over Crusher.
Pack 1 Pick 5:

My Pick:

Figured See Beyond was better then Rapacious one if I was all in.
Pack 1 Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 1 Pick 7:

My Pick:

More blue.
Pack 1 Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 1 Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1 Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1 Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1 Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1 Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1 Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1 Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2 Pick 1:

My Pick:

Figures now I open a good rare off color. Not good enough to completely start over. Flame Slash is a good man, and more consistent then Teacher though I really wanted Teacher.
Pack 2 Pick 2:

My Pick:

Battlement does more for me then Hatcher.
Pack 2 Pick 3:

My Pick:

There's that Hatcher I wanted.
Pack 2 Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 2 Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 2 Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 2 Pick 7:

My Pick:

On hindsight, this was a mispick. I know I took awhile to think about it, but it looks like I'm shaping up r/g ramp and Ogre's Cleaver is quite good in that deck.
Pack 2 Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2 Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2 Pick 10:

My Pick:

How is Drake still here? Shoulda hated it, I don't have the deck for Brood Birthing.
Pack 2 Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2 Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2 Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2 Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2 Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3 Pick 1:

My Pick:

Of course I open the nut low Pack. Nothing on color. Could splash blue for Regress, but right now the only card I'm splashing is the blue wall. Took the blade because I figured it was alright with some of my tokens. On hindsight shoulda took the Regress.

Pack 3 Pick 2:

My Pick:

Why thank you for the good red card.
Pack 3 Pick 3:

My Pick:

Another bad Pack. I had deluded myself into thinking that Pathrazor was playable...it definitely isn't. Shoulda took the Teacher or Adept, look at the random good blue.
Pack 3 Pick 4:

My Pick:

Ding! How is that so late?
Pack 3 Pick 5:

My Pick:

DING! A good red bomb means no one is drafting red to my right.
Pack 3 Pick 6:

My Pick:

SB material against fliers.
Pack 3 Pick 7:

My Pick:

Got my Cleaver :)
Pack 3 Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 3 Pick 9:

My Pick:

Drake and Regress this late? Hated the Drake, shoulda took the Regress.
Pack 3 Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3 Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3 Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3 Pick 13:

My Pick:

These guys are both playable...strange for a 13th pick.
Pack 3 Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3 Pick 15:

My Pick:

This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy. Visit the draft converter today! --



Deck ended up being r/g ramp splashing one island for Mnemonic Wall. I lost in the first round to U/W levelers with a black splash. G1 I lost when he topdecked Drana, I had 7 4/4 Hellion's a turn too late. G2 I won when I Disaster Radius'd him for a 4 for 1 when I had 12 power on board. G3 I lost because I kept a 2 land hand and only drew one land in the next 6 draws, all he had to do was play Time of Heroes and one leveler.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you use 18 lands? I'm becoming more and more of a fan of using 18 just cause I think mana screw is very common in this format

D. Overbeek said...

I would've third picked either the Invoker or the Predator, and moved into the RG Spawn/Ramp deck. Treespeaker is one of my favorite cards in the format, and so I would be hard pressed to get away from it just for a Training Grounds

mikeshentu said...

my thoughts:

p1p3: Training grounds pick here is super awkward. This is like taking Time of Heroes 3rd pick; I think if you take the predator here the whole draft goes better for you overall.

p1p5: Rapacious One >>>> See Beyond. not close.
personally I would've taken spawning breath and lavafume invoker later in the pack.

p2p11: might consider Skittering Invasion over Stomper Cub, but it's close.

rest of the draft seems fine.

WhatALuckyTopdeck said...

I think I used 17 lands just because I had enough ramp to justify it.

WhatALuckyTopdeck said...

I also agree that Training Grounds was very greedy of me, and should have been Kozilek's Predator. Oh well, didn't cost my draft much, still lost G3 to screw.