Thursday, May 27, 2010

Kai Draft #2 (4-3-2-2)

7 in queue for 4322. 0 for 84. Guess which I joined.
Jacob should have a draft cap for an 8-4 we did later, where I got crushed by might of the masses first round. Lack of instant speed removal in R/G rampdrazi hurts. I'll put up my draft in his report for those interested.
Pack 1, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Heat Ray, Mammoth Umbra, and Ondu Giant are all fine cards. Mammoth has most ability to win the game on its own from those 3. However Magmaw is a bomb in the correct archetype and is a card that gives you direction in your draft. A clear first pick.



Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


I almost went for the Null Champion here. That would've been wrong though. Null is a good creature but with Magmaw spawn token deck needs fast removal first and foremost.
Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Very good with Magmaw and other sac outlets.
Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


We're good at this game.
Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Switching to green for Broodwarden is considerable since if we were going to switch, this would be the card to do it for. Fortunately there's an on color card that is insane for the archetype we're drafting.
Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


It was foil. Pimps out singleton deck. Plus nothing I actually want in this pack.
Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:


The Deck:
8 Swamp
10 Mountain
1 Forked Bolt
1 Vendetta
1 Spawning Breath
1 Bloodthorne Vampire
1 Perish the Thought
2 Last Kiss
1 Lavafume Invoker
1 Nirkana Cutthroat
1 Traitorous Instinct
1 Lord of Shatterskull Pass
2 Explosive Revelation
1 Dread Drone
1 Emerakul's Hatcher
1 Magmaw
1 Essence Feed
1 Rapacious One
2 Skeletal Wurm
1 Heat Ray


I played the Perish the Thought maindeck over Gloomhunter because Gloomhunter doesn't fit into the game plan of kill things, generate tokens, and leverage tokens to win. It's pretty easily stopped in the skies and lends value to our opponent's Spawning Breath and other weak removal. I also wanted to try the Revelation, and this deck had an avg manacost around 4 as well as a plethora of removal which is pretty good to run with Revelation.

Round 1: U/W/B level
G1: The opponent starts with Halimar Wavewatch into Nirkana Cutthroat. Perish the Thought reveals black invoker, Oust, lands, and Induce Despair, which I make him shuffle. Heat ray kills the Cuttthroat on the second attack. I bait the Oust with Rapacious one, and draw it back with Explosive Revelation killing the 6/6 Wavewatch. Forked bolt finishes off the invoker and his Recurring Insight is too slow to stop Rapacious one and Essence Feed from kiling him.

G2: He got stuck on 2 lands. I played random guys and he died.

Round 2:  R/G
G1: He leads with Kaargan Dragonlord on the play. Nice mythic rare bro. We have the Soul Kiss to remove for value. Perish takes green invoker and leaves him Joraga Treespeaker and Valakut Fireboar. My Magmaw and Essence Feed are enough to keep the boar at bay. Bloodthrone Vampire and Traitorous instinct on his 6/6 Beastbreaker put the game away.

G2: I mull on the draw into a hand of Vendetta Perish the Thought Explosive Revelation Forked Bolt Swamp and Mountain.  His relevant creatures die and Perish the thought leaves him with Ulamog's Crusher and Artisan of Kozilek. He draws Growth Spasm so is able to accel into Crusher. My Traitorous Instinct + Vendetta 10 him, 8 me, and take down two of his lands. Explosive Revelation into Lord of Shatterskull for his Stomper Cub causes the concession.

Finals: G/W rancid
G1: Spawning Breath eats Treespeaker. Lavafume Invoker and Bloodthrone Vampire team up with some tokens and kill him with the aid of Traitorous Instinct on his Stomper Cub. He was skilled enough to Puncturing Light my vampire instead of Invoker when I had multiple spawn tokens and the Lavafume would be able to activate and punch through for the win a turn later. I saw the out and sacced tokens to counter the Puncturing Light. He died the next turn.

I board in 2 Shrivel for 2 Wurm as his deck was very vulnerable to shrivel and Wurm is very slow in the matchup. He has no outs to my activated abilities besides Linvala, so I wasn't worried about being able to finish the game.

G2: He makes me play first, which is a fine choice for him. He leads Kor Line Singer. My Perish the Thought takes Linvala over 2 lands, Kazandu Tuskcaller, Hedron-Field Purist, and Eldrazi Conscription. I take some time to make the decision and he types in "see your death?" I chuckle. My hand at the point had no threats, good removal (though none able to 1 for 1 Linvala), and I should be able to stop the Conscription when he can cast it. He plays the Purist and a topdecked Soul's Attendant next turn. I slow roll Shrivel + Last Kiss to kill his team.  He eventually has a Nest Invader with Spider Umbra on it staring off against my 2 spawn tokens and vampire. He goes for the Conscription which never lands, and dies to a Magmaw few turns later.

3 comments:

Kmaster said...

Do readers like this format for the page jump over the other one where the jump occurs before the first pick is revealed?

jayelk said...

I think you want the jump between the first pack and first pick. It creates intrigue for the reader to click on the post plus allows them to analyze the first pack on their own.

D. Overbeek said...

Agree with Jacob.
Also p1p9 - Gloomhunter sucks, consistantly. Take the Evolving Wilds here.