Sunday, May 30, 2010

Dan Draft #3 - Spoiler Alert (No Walkers)

Pack 1, Pick 1:



My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:


Decklist:
3 Kozilek's Predator
1 Brood Birthing
1 Disaster Radius
1 Emrakul's Hatcher
1 Evolving Wilds
2 Battle-Rattle Shaman
7 Forest
1 Kiln Fiend
9 Mountain
2 Spawning Breath
1 Goblin Tunneler
3 Raid Bombardment
1 Boar Umbra
1 Bramblesnap
1 Nest Invader
1 Might of the Masses
1 Wildheart Invoker
2 Heat Ray
1 Flame Slash

Sideboard
1 Swamp
1 Death Cultist
1 Mountain
1 Valakut Fireboar
1 Shrivel
1 Irresistible Prey
1 Surreal Memoir
1 Growth Spasm
1 Vent Sentinel
1 Naturalize
1 Explosive Revelation
1 Deprive
1 Skittering Invasion
1 Wrap in Flames
1 Goblin Tunneler
1 Contaminated Ground
1 Battle Rampart
1 Jaddi Lifestrider
1 Mountain
1 Essence Feed
1 Soul's Attendant




I wasn’t sure what to think when the draft ended. I have rarely drafted the Raid Bombardment aggro deck, so I wasn’t 100% confident with how I was valuing cards. At worst, my deck does do a lot of dome-ing…there are a lot of Spawn producers, and 3x Raid Bombardments….

Round 1 v Ru

Game 1 – on the play. His turn 2 Siege Runner got Spawning Breath’ed, Kozilek’s Predator came down on 3, and the dome’ing began. He chumped with Arsonist just to kill a Spawn, and on the next turn, Heat Ray’ed the Predator. Now, I played a Raid Bombardment, and started drawing lands. Then I drew a Bramblesnap, which would begin fighting his Battle Rampart. I dome’d, and got in for damage with Bombardment. He played Akrom Battleslinger, trying to kill the Bramblesnap, but I had the 2nd Spawning Breath for the blowout. He played a Skittering Invasion and Renegade Doppleganger, and Bramblesnap kept dome’ing. I drew Brood Birthing, which started making my Bramblesnap very large. One Regress later, he eventually died.

Game 2

Curved Goblin Tunneler into Spawning Breath your Tunneler, into Battle-Rattle Shaman. Eldrazi Spawn token showed him where the beatings happen. Next turn, Shaman started 4’ing. He played a Pennon Blade, which did nothing, and he soon died.

Round 2 v BU

He started with Null Champion. It got Spawning Breath’ed and he got timewalked. I played a couple token makers, and 2 Raid Bombardments. His death came soon after.

Boarded in Explosive Revelation

He started with Null Champion again. I called for the Spawning Breath again, but didn’t get it. I played Goblin Tunneler, Raid Bombardment, and Nest Invader and started racing. Nest Invader traded with Pawn of Ulamog, and he used the Spawn to level Null Champion up to 3. I cast Explosive Revelation, Champion died, I drew Wildheart Invoker, and continued dome’ing. He was missing blue, and Kozilek’s Predator and Battle Rattle Shaman quickened the clock. He found an Island, but the best he could come up with was Hada Sky Patrol. I played Battle Rattle Shaman, and he got knocked down to 5. He didn’t do anything productive, and died.

Round 3 v BUw

Replays said that he had Linvala and levelers. We’ll see how this goes…

Opening hand was Raid Bombardment, Kozilek’s Predator, Battle Rattle Shaman, Might of the Masses and 3 lands. A little slow, but Might of the Masses seems really good in our deck. He played Null Champion and Escaped Null. I played Predator and Battle Rattle Shaman and traded with Escaped Null. He cast Distortion Strike on his level 2 Null Champion, so I took 5, untapped and Flame Slash’ed the Champion. He soon cast a Mnemonic Wall, with no target, and got Might’ed to the face.

Commence opponent complaints……..obviously

Game 2

He was missing U for most of the game. He started with just a Null Champion. I started with Kiln Fiend and Flame Slash on the Champion. Some trading occurred, and I ended up with a Battle Rattle Shaman with Boar Umbra and a Bramblesnap. He cast Consuming Vapors, I sac’ed the Bramblesnap, and untapped and played Predator, letting me sacrifice a token when he flashed Vapors back. All he had after that was an Ikhil Outrider and a Last Kiss, neither of which did anything productive. 7/5 Battle Rattle Shaman took it down. (More complaining….I guess they were the worst draws of the draft for him…..)

Took another one down. See you next time!

3 comments:

Matt McCullough said...

You seemed fairly locked into the spawn token deck from early pack 1, which is fine. Doming is always value.

Would have probably taken tunneler P1P6 given how nuts that guy is with bramblesnap, and if I'm RG I'd rather be doming than ramping.

P1P9 Lavafume invoker not close. That guy is absolutely absurd with tokens. Actual overrun
P2P5 same thing, invoker is insane when you have DI ways to make tokens
P3P5 is close between breath and soulscourge, though at this point you probably don't need the elemental.

Your final deck is pretty loose, though. In the tokens archtype, especially in your deck with 3x bombardment, boar umbra is pretty terrible.
Also, kiln fiend seems pretty bad, even with the tunneler to get value.

I would have probably run the other tunneler and the skittering invasion. Invasion is particularly nuts with 3 bombardment, and tunnels combos with bramblesnap and 2 battle-rattle

It also helps when all of your opponents are completely incompetant :)

D. Overbeek said...

Yea, Boar Umbra got boarded out all the time for Skittering Invasion or the other Tunneler. That was obviously a punt.
Kiln Fiend was fine for me, but this is obviously not his best deck.

I find it funny that I didn't cast Disaster Radius once during the draft...

jayelk said...

Your R1G1 description could have been a lot shorter.

He played Renegade Doppleganger.
1-0