Friday, October 22, 2010

Road House (Write for us!)

About 2 months ago I had moved to Ann Arbor and most of my free time was being gobbled up by work and more work.  I haven't been able to keep up with what is being posted on The Rusty Machete and I haven't had time to edit articles into works of art.

Time heals all wounds.



Every now and then I get to log in here and see something posted which needs editing, or something that could use help because it's a blog post; not an article.  I initially had agreed to help work on The Rusty Machete to promote good writing and help people write up draft articles, to make the audience into more informed and better limited players.  Sometimes, of course, there are insights into Standard and Legacy, but primarily to make people better limited players, and promote good writing.  But the quality of articles...

We're not headed in the right direction.


We need to strive for excellence.  Better information and better articles to make you the better player.  Want to become better at Magic?  Start writing about it.  Want to become a solid Magic writer - to keep developing your craft?  We already have a growing audience that is ready to read your work. 

Here's how you do it.

  1. Write the article in Google Docs.
  2. Read your article (this is important).  Ask yourself: "Am I interested in what this person has to say?  Did I lose interest somewhere?"  Fix spelling/grammar/flow issues if you can.  Is there white space?  Are there pictures/decklists?  Keep in mind that the room for content is about 600 pixels wide.
  3. Share the article with me (gjagasia at gmail dot com), I will read it and do my best to make suggestions.  Try to not be offended if I want to change things about it.  Publishing is a process, and I have to be the harsh editor to keep quality standards up. 
  4. If I think it's ready, I'll put it up as a Feature Article.
  5. If you want to continue writing, eventually I can add you as a continued contributor on both here and the Facebook page. 
-G

2 comments:

hwu said...

As a newer writer, I can say that it has helped me organize my thoughts better so I can analyze my decisions and card choices more effectively. Also, there's no risk in agreeing to write for Rusty. You can stop at any time and don't have to follow any schedules.

Anonymous said...

In addition to all the bands I played in I also did some solo and dual work and never played in
a group that wasnt working. The new trend today in learning
to play guitar is by online. Record your show or even better, video tape it, so you
can give yourself constructive criticism after your
show when you review the tape.

Feel free to visit my homepage how to play guitar