Sunday, October 17, 2010

Kelley's guide on how to top 4 FNM having never played the set!

I had not been able to play Scars up to Friday because I had to work the last two weekends.  Usually I will attend the Fat Pack Battle, Prerelease, and Release events, but this time it just didn't work.  I didn't even get to pick up my preordered boxes until Friday.

So basically I had no freaking clue what I was going to do.  I knew that the planeswalkers were good, Ratchet Bomb, most of the mythics, etc, but I had no idea what commons or uncommons were good at all.



There were around 30ish people, meaning there would be a cut to T8 (three pods I think).  The only real regular at my table appeared to be Kurtis Droge, of course, who had recommended to me to force b/g poison.  I am never comfortable with forcing anything even though that Kai thinks that forcing at GYGO is pure value because, and I quote, 'Everyone is awful.'  I just like to take the best cards and make a conventional deck, which is why I had a hard time playing the Alara block.

So P1P1 had a shitty rare, and the pick was between two uncommons.  Artisan Golem and Darksteel Sentinel.  I figured that Golem is a better card to build around so I decided to be a bit loose.  With the next pick I took Grafted Exoskeleton because I know that is very strong in the poison deck and maybe it means that poison was open.  Well poison wasn't open.  Black was open, so I took the 3/3 flier with 3 life loss (which I thought was insane) and Exsanguinate (which I also think is pretty good, an X spell in limited).  P2 and P3 yielded shitty rares and I didn't get passed any.  I had taken some blue cards in P1 so I thought I might be u/b but after white flowed P2 I jumped into b/w aggro:

[deck]
1 Artisan Golem
1 Liquimetal Coating
1 Rusted Relic
2 Glint Hawk Idol
1 Leaden Myr
1 Moriok Replica
1 Origin Spellbomb
3 Silver Myr

1 Glimmerpoint Stag
1 Arrest
1 Fulgent Distraction
1 Revoke Existance

1 Skinrender
2 Exsanguinate
2 Necrogen Scudder
1 Painsmith
1 Flesh Allergy
1 Blistergrub
1 Bleak Coven Vampires

9 Swamp
7 Plains
[/deck]

The last cut from the deck was the Grafted Exoskeleton, because it was anti-synergistic with my deck.  I also originally had a Disperse in as the 24th card, but I switched it with Fulgent Distraction after the first round and was glad I made the switch.

R1 I had to mull to 5 in G1 but beat my opponent, the other Kurtis (don't know his last name).  He is a competent player though.  In G2 I got T3 Scudder, followed by a T4 Scudder, followed by a T5 double Glint Hawk Idol while he was stuck off red.  Good deck.

R2 I played someone who had never drafted before, but won his first match.  He was mono black and honestly the only cards I saw were double Psychic Miasma, double Relic Putrescence, and Painful Quandary.

R3 I drew with Josh Olendorf (sp?).

T8 I played someone I didn't know, forget his name too.  He had a blue, green metalcraft deck (I think).  G1 I crushed him with a couple Scudders.  I think he was stuck on lands that game though.  G2 was a very long game.  I played a couple Glint Hawk Idols but he played the 1/6 wall that you can give reach and it slowed me down.  He just played big stupid artifacts while I drew a bunch of Myrs (I think I played all four of my Myrs this game).  He should have been attacking me many turns but was punting and just passing while he was at something like 10.  He played the 8/8 trample that makes lands 8/8s and still wasn't attacking into my 6 dudes, though he should have been.  I took a gamble and attacked with the Hawk Idols to get through 2 damage because I had Exsanguinate in my hand, and of course he ripped an artifact off the top to make his 2/2s into 4/4s with Metalcraft.  He finally woke up and attacked me and I had to lose my entire army just to go to 2.  I drew a land the next turn but only had enough to Exsanguinate him for 5 when he was at 6.  I didn't show it and conceded.  Then G3 I played double Scudder, and even though he had 3/5 reach spider, I had four guys on board.  I waited until he played his second guy and then played Fulgent Distraction to put him to something like 3.  Exsanguinate got him next turn.

I split T4 with Demars, Josh, and Dustin, though I honestly don't think my deck was anything special and I had no clue what I was doing.

The moral of this story: pick good cards and don't force a strategy just because you aren't familiar with anything else.

No comments: