Friday, October 22, 2010

Kai Draft #25 (SOM 8-4)

I've drafted this format a total of four times before today. And one of those was a disastrous PTQ Top 8 draft. That also happened to be the only draft I didn't draft poison. Well, it's time to learn what to do when the infect creatures aren't coming.


Pack 1, Pick 1:




My Pick:


He's very vulnerable, but when they can't answer him, they will lose to him.
Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:


So I can have 3 4/4's? Sounds good.
Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


This is a huge signal. Embersmith is the third best red uncommon, behind Scrapmelter and Arc Trail. It is exceptional in this format as it can beat the other smiths, snipe off infect creatures, and kill mana myr and setting your opponent behind.
Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:


Darkslick Drake is a pretty good blue card, but Tumble Magnet is stronger with Embersmith and we want to have as many strong artifacts as possible in the early picks so we can remain flexible.
Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:


This pick should've been Neurok Replica in all likelihood. Replica curves well, enabling metalcraft quickly, and has a relevant ability.
Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:


The last two picks have been "off color", though both cards are strong on theme, as once metalcrafted both creatures can end the game quickly. It is important to signal that metalcraft is not open to the people we are passing to.
Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:


Cacaw!
Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:


Big Flocks, Fast Clocks.
Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


It's just better than Champion.
Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Awesome, we are now solidly in R/U.
Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:


I was tempted to take Stag, as it is a very strong card, being able to reload Tumble Magnet, various Trigons, and waste your opponent's time by making equipment fall off. However Chrome Steed is a huge beater in metalcraft, and allows us to stick to a strong R/U core.
Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:


Very tempting to hate the Slice in Twain here, as that card is bonkers against Precursor Golem. Yes, they do draw 3. But we need to make our deck stronger more than we need to weaken other people's.
Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:


This card appears severely undervalued.
Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Good with 2 Tumble Magnets.
Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:


I should've taken the Battlegear here as the other Eel was going to table just like this one did and at the time I was strongly considering maindecking Silcaws.
Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Bombs! Bombs! Bombs! Just wait till you see what this guy does for me in the draft. You won't believe it!
Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Excellent....
Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Blue appears to be very open.
Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:


Should've taken Soliton to enable metalcraft. Definitely didn't need 3 eels.
Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:


The Deck:



Round 1: G/B

Game 1: My opponent casts a mana myr and a Sylvok Lifestaff. He plays no other spells before dying to my curve of Embersmith, Replica, Replica, Tumble Magnet

Game 2: He casts 2 Ichor Rats, I Galvanic Blast the first one and Clone Shell to block the second. He has no answer to Precursor Golem and dies.

Round 2: R/G infect

Game 1: He starts out with Cystbearer and Ezuri's Brigade. They really aren't friends. Since now he has to deal 30 to win and his infect guys won't help him metalcraft, with few exceptions. Because of his non-synergies I gain board presence and he has to hold back with me at 6 poison and 8 life. I Blast his Cystbearer and attack with Relic, Clone Shell, and Chrome Steed. Galvanic Blast + combat damage easily kills him.

My opponent cast an Arc Trail dealing 2 to Chrome Steed and 1 to Rusted Relic this game. Though this error is understandable since he informs me he is drunk and just turned 30. I wished him happy birthday since he seemed like an awesome guy.

Sideboard: + Bonds of Quicksilver -Steady Progress
Bonds is good against poison guys and huge green monsters.

Game 2: He attacks Cystbearer into my Vulshok Replica and I snap block. His follow up of Tel-Jilad Fallen is Bonds of Quicksilvered.  MODO lost the replays so I can't show you how I used my dragon to utterly annihilate his ... 1/1 Insect Token with Infect that was equipped with Bladed Pinions and Sylvok Lifestaff and was boosted with Heartstoker. I was at 9 poison. I block, and he regenerates his guy with Asceticism. So my dragon lived as a 1/, able to chump block again next turn while I attacked with Precursor Golem on the ground. Precursor was also the only reason I didn't die to the Trigon and Carrion Call tokens. 2 rares, and another attack later my opponent meets 2 Galvanic Blasts with his face.

Round 3: G/B, dude beat GerryT in semis

Game 1: He curves Wall of Tanglecord into Necrogen Scudder into Carapace Forger. I curve Invisimancer into Invisimancer into Clone Shell. He gains metalcraft on his turn and the race is pretty interesting. I am at 7 and can play Steel Hellkite or 2x Tumble Magnet. I obviously play the Magnets to end the race and he concedes when I tap his creatures.

Sideboard: I know he has Geth from watching replays, but don't really have anything that beats it besides Volition Reins. Nothing is changed.

Game 2: He is stuck on 4 mana, two of which are Copper Myr. I don't draw an Embersmith to lock him out of the game, but have an accelerated Grand Architect start which allows me to pressure him with Rusted Relic, Snapsail Glider, and Vulshok Replica while Rebuttaling his Slice in Twain. My Relic eats his Wall of Tanglecord and Replica trades for Chrome Steed after I use Architect to turn both blue. Then I am left with the following decision: play Precursor or Chrome Steed.


I wasn't totally focused, and was talking to Joe about Kuldotha Forgemaster in Sealed. The obviously correct play was Steed, since this avoids getting blown out by Slice in Twain, as Rusted Relic is actually also a Golem!

My opponent does indeed have the second Slice, and draws 4 cards. I have not felt that blown out in a while. The actual 2GG 6 for 1.

He played a Swamp and passed. I pumped made Glider blue, attacked, and played Steed. He drew and conceded.

Lessons Taught. And definitely learned too.

2 comments:

Michael Servis said...

who needs harmonize?

hwu said...

Very nice article. I'm pretty sick of people always forcing poison (and then losing to me hehe).