Monday, April 25, 2011

April 25th - Post NPH Eva Green

Eva Green is a deck that has fallen out of favor over time, but I think the existence of Mental Misstep will give people a reason to play Suicide Black with Green again.



















No, there's no Tombstalker.  There's also no Snuff Out.

What does Mental Misstep do for this deck?  It beats cards that murder the deck; Swords to Plowshares, Sensei's Divining Top and Brainstorm.

Why play this over Junk variants?  Hypnotic Specter.  While this guy isn't the end all of Legacy, the nut draw of Dark Ritualing this guy out early with Misstep backup is game breaking enough.

Additionally, all of the cards that you need to resolve don't cost 1 mana.  Now if your opponents are playing Spell Snare... things are more awkward in a post-Misstep world.

Dismember is an interesting card for me - it hurts less off Dark Confidant and you can do partial payments, and it kills most all creatures.  I think it's definitely good enough for the deck, even though it's not 100% free

The Surgical Extraction is in the board because I love 1-of's.  No respect.

-G

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brings back bad memories of playing a friend who drew for his first turn, played a swamp, tapped, cast 4x dark ritual dropped 3 Hyppies. Ahhh, black summer.

That said, I don't know enough to know how this would fare. If something like this was successful it might tempt me into giving Legacy a shot, suicide black was always a favourite.

Gandhi said...

I'm more than happy to play things like this in local events, and put my results up here.

Give it about 5 weeks, so prices will come down a little from post-Grand Prix Providence, and I'll actually have Mental Misstep and Dismember in my hands for testing.