Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Kelley Draft #6 (8-4)

Ok everyone, here is how you draft mythic rares and lose in the first round:

Pack 1, Pick 1:


My Pick:


I finally manage to open a good mythic in a draft.  Usually I am rareless in M11 drafts, or at least mythicless.

Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Subpar pack...best card is either Cloud Crusader or Mana Leak.  I like being able to attack.

Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Keeping my options open.  I'm R/x right now.

Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Basilisk is obviously better then Minotaur but I don't need a fourth color now.

Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:


Red seems open.

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:


Ice Cage tech.

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Haven't been this lucky in awhile!  Two Titans and on color.

Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Figured I could splash it, and I did, though now I'm not sure I should have.

Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Finally some fliers.  Just what I need.




Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Can't beat this card.

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:


Can't beat this card either.

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:


Green sure seems open.

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:


I can either take a second Palace Guard that will most likely not make the cut, or I can hate a guy that can beat most of my guys in the face.

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Team Griffins!

Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Cloud Crusaders are knights :)

Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:


------------------------------

I didn't save a screenshot of the deck but I played all of the white except Holy Strength, and almost all the red after it dried up in pack 2.  I splashed one Swamp for the Doom Blade though I had no fixing.  Last cuts were Canyon Minotaur (all the other four drops were better) and the second Solemn Offering.

I wait 5 minutes while my opponent's timer ticks down and he doesn't respond to me asking if he's there, so I relog MODO and of course when I log back in in 30 seconds he has passed priority back to me.  Not sure if he was trying to catch my computer freezing or something.  I keep a hand with 3 Mountains, Ember Hauler, Cloud Crusader, Shiv's Embrace, and Palace Guard.  I didn't draw a land until T7 and it was a Plains.  By that time he played out two Llanowar Elves, Basilisk, Giant Spider, and then Waraxe which when he equipped I just conceded at 4 lands and no real outs being at 10ish life.

I side out the War Priest of Thune for the second Solemn Offering because he's likely playing no enchantments and I don't need the 2/2 body.

I choose to play again and get a hand with one Mountain, ship, get a hand with 0 lands, ship to 5, keep a hand with two Plains, Inferno Titan, Shiv's Embrace, Wild Griffin.  I drew Condemn and owned his Forest off of Awakener's Druid.  I don't get a third land (it's a Plains) until about t4 but it was in time to Solemn Offering his Waraxe.  At this point (or earlier) I complained in chat and he remarked 'lolz' which I probably deserved for chatting on MODO.  Then I drew my Doom Blade...yay.  He had played Llanowar Elf, some things, then Packleader.  He had also put Volcanic Strength on his Awakening Druid.  Of course next turn I drew the Mountain, but I didn't have a choice if I wanted to get Titan out.  I played Juggarnaut and of course on his turn he played Protean Hydra for 6.  Next turn I didn't draw the Mountain I needed for Embrace and I just scooped. 

Frustrating to lose two games to mana screw when I had a decent deck and didn't even get to cast a Titan.  Figures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pack one has FOUR playable white cards, 2-3 black, yet no green or blue. Pick order should've been:
p1p1 Titan
p1p2 Mana Leak
p1p3 Cultivate

This sets you up well to make a deck that will let you cast the titan each game, get max value out of Pyroclasm, etc. You could even play both titans if you pick up 1-2 more cultivates, which isn't that difficult considering your start.

Kmaster said...

Pick two was Crusader over Leak by far. It doesn't matter the first pack had more playable white cards. White is good enough for you to cut/force it. Crusader is a much better card than Mana Leak and the first few picks should be spent picking the best card in the pack and settling colors once it becomes clear what is open. Unless you take 2nd pick Mana Leak as a signal, Crusader is the clear pick.

I also like Juggernaut over Cultivate. It avoids commitment and 5/3 is still the best card in that pack. Cultivate is in a weak color and pairs terribly with White and Red.

qbturtle15 said...

Snap Pacifism P1P1. If you want to be the white deck (and you do), you gotta mean it.