Thursday, August 12, 2010

Kai Draft #19 (Alara Block NixTix)

It's Alara Block NixTix again! Yay.

Pack 1, Pick 1:




My Pick:


All in Kyle.
Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:


This pick should've been Soul Manipulation. Even though that is not synergy with 1st pick Thornling. The panorama was too early though.
Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Is better than everything else in the pack by a large margin.
Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:


This card is insane. Should not be 4th pick.
Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Fireball youuuuuuuuu.
Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:


Big drakes. Fast drakes.
Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:


This was actually the second best card behind Thornling. And it tabled. Awesome.
Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Gwafa Hazid, Profitting your opponents.
Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Students of literature will notice foreshadowing present in this pick.
Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Shieldmage would be good. As would Windwright, but mana stability is paramount in this format.
Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:


It's a twitch. That's also a 2/3. And an artifact.
Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Wow. Wow. Wow.
Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


And we have his Slave too. What a combo.
Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Sometimes. You need some fat. They try to grind you out. You bomb them out.
Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:


Riiiiiight.
Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Another Strix would've been welcome. But once more, our deck was already plenty powerful and needed consistency.
Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Haters gonna hate.
Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:


I wanted to take the Ultimatum. But it's real hard to cast. Plus we have Bolas as an endgame already.
Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Riiiight.
Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:



Final deck:


The final submitted deck was -1 Blood Tyrant -1 Mountain +1 Island +1 Esper Sojourners. This was to make the manabase more stable and I didn't feel like we needed the Tyrant to win games.

Round 1: spectral_lynx82 with Naya exalted.

Game 1: I Sculler him on 2 and take a Gloryscale Viashino, leaving him with Obelisk of Naya, Angelic Benediction, Deadshot Minotaur, and a land. He doesn't hit the 5th mana source for a long time so his deadshot is very late to the party. Mycoid beats us for a few turns but we get to our 5th mana and Slave it down. Opponent concedes facing down Strix and Tower at 2 life.

Sideboard: none

Game 2: We played Wall of Denial on 3. He eventually got a 5 power guy with 3 exalted guys so he could attack. Meanwhile our Windwright Mage and other fliers were doing some damage. Eventually he got low enough we just suicided guys and burned him out with Sludge Strider. That guy is very very good.

Round 2: smoopr with Grixis

Game 1: We have Naya Panorama on 2 into Sculler on 3.

We see his hand contains no more lands and a bunch of blue spells. We permanently remove Traumatic Visions to bottleneck him. He hits blue around turn 5 but by then is just getting crushed by Sludestrider and friends. It was awkward since Temper was his only removal spell and he would've taken 8 from Sculler if he didn't Temper in response.

Game 2:
Strix. Hardcast Borderpost. Tower. Comorants. Comorants + Strix. Opponent dies.

Round 3:
scott_henderson with Bant.

He has Knight of the Reliquary that we know about from replays. He also has Gwafa Hazid.

2-0

Lesson Taught.

5 comments:

qbturtle15 said...

Winning the finals here seemed like a lot of profit.

hwu said...

I like how you didn't drop a single game in a shards draft...and they say this is the format with the most luck (hitting colors that is).

Good job, Kai

Michael Servis said...

you seriously need to stop drafting this format.

nice job though!

jayelk said...

Kai hasn't lost a shards block draft since approximately 1989.

Mise said...

I refuse to believe that this is real. K-"master" at rollin' Gwafa Hazid.