Saturday, July 10, 2010

Kai Draft #15 (8-4)

Team Ridiculous Bombs Away!

Pack 1, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Trust me. It gets better.



Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Sol Ring is sooooo good.
Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Pack is very bad. Scorps or Wall of Omens is the best card. The white card doesn't play well with Sarkhan or Treespeaker though so Scorps it is.

Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:


So we're in black.
Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:


The best card in the pack by a mile.
Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:



Best card by three miles.
Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:


Sometimes, you need reach. Also the midrangey deck this is probably going to be doesn't want to get burned out.
Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Enforcer is a better card, but I have the win cons covered already. 2/8 is big blocks, and I want to be token based to maximize the Sarkhan anyways.
Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Cool.
Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


I don't think Last Kiss is where this deck wants to be. We should be able to get some Nest Invaders or Overgrown Battlements to shore up the early game. Artisan will be insane when rebuying anything, and again we want to have spawnmakers to accelerate our fatties.
Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:


I pass on Last Kiss again for the 4/3. He's a very solid guy but won't help against evasive creatures. He should be able to race very well though. This pick was possibly wrong.
Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Okay so nobody's in green. Or they're taking all the spawnmakers and shipping all the Broodwardens. Which makes no sense.
Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Induce Despair is good with fatties to reveal. However right now the deck really needs spawn for the 2 Broodwarden and to make the deck faster.
Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:


Ramp looks good.
Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Fixes for Sarkhan, definitely don't need crusher.
Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:


I possibly should've hatedrafted the Vial or a creature. However I didn't think anyone could grind me out with the bomb density I had and the Stomper Cub didn't frighten me at all. Servitor would shore up the early game against hyperaggressive decks.
Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:


The Deck:

Kyle: sorry, but Spawnsire x2 just isn't good enough to get played.

Round 1:

G1: I played some 4/3's. He answered back with Skywatcher Adept, Time of Heroes, and a Champion's Drake. I hit 8 mana faster than he can power up his Adept to level 3 thanks to my Joraga Treespeaker and some bashes later he is dead.

SB: + Leaf Arrow + Sporecap Spider + Gravity Well -Artisan of Kozilek -Cadaver Imp - Pawn of Ulamog
He had evasive creatures so I don't expect to be trading very often to make Imp, Artisan, or Pawn effective.

G2: I Perish the Thought his third land, leaving him stuck on 2 for the rest of the game and he dies.

Round 2: R/W walls

Game 1: He plays guys with huge butts like Ikrail Outrider, Vent Sentinels, and Reinforced Bulwark. He has a  Battle-Rattle Shaman to let his 2/6 get in a few times but I have plenty of time to get Wildheart Invoker and Pestilence Demon into play. The demon is put on Guard Duty but Invoker is able to break through his defenses with ease.

SB: - Pawn of Ulamog + Spawnsire If he wants to grind, we'll grind.

Game 2: He starts with Brimstone Mage and Vent Sentinels while I cast Perish the Thought. He has 4 lands in play and the 5th land in hand along with Lust for War, Hartebeest, Flame Slash, and Soulbound Guardians. I can't really beat the Lust for War since it clocks too fast so I take it. In the event he figures out the correct sequence I still buy a turn from him playing the Hartebeest. His next play surprises me, as he simply attacks for 2 and leaves up 5. When I play and level my Treespeaker, he shows the Staggershock he drew and shoots me with Vent Sentinels. The next turn I waste more of his time Cadaver Imping back Treespeaker and leveling up again. I've taken little damage do to him constantly killing my stuff. My next turn is Scorpion to kill Hedron-Field Purists and Nest Invader. He doesn't mainphase shoot the spawn, so I cast Artisan to get back Imp to get back Treespeaker. Hartebeest shows his flexibility and finds Guard Duty. I cast the Conscription I've been sandbagging and he's dead 2 turns later.

Finals:
His deck is U/G/B grinds. Multiple Induce Despairs, Sea Gate Oracles, and green for only Ondu Giant and Bramblesnap that I saw.

Game 1: I win the die roll and choose to be on the draw. I get a slow hand but he mulls to 5. A lot of nothing happens while he Sees some Beyond and sets up Angelheart Vial and I miss land drop. His attempt to grind me out with his extra cards fails as my bombs are Pelakka Wurm, Sarkhan, and Artisan returning discarded Pestilence Demon.

SB: - Bala Ged Scorpion + Spawnsire I don't want to spend 4 to kill a Sea Gate Oracle.

Game 2: He makes me play first, and I mull to 6. I rip the turn 2 Nest Invader so I can turn 3 Ondu Giant off the spawn token. He Perishes me and sends Wildheart Invoker away, leaving me with Pelakka Wurm and Conscription. I naturally draw a replacement Invoker immediately. Then Treespeaker. After he concedes to my "perfect draw" and shows me his hand of blanks I peek by using the draw a card function to see what my next card would've been.

Sometimes, you run good.

Lessons taught.