Monday, October 10, 2011

Kmaster TPF Draft

I'm going to post this and see what happens. TPF NixPax is this week. It's a lot of fun but not very high EV. NixTix in two weeks. Here's a draft I did this morning, nothing ridiculously bomby, just a good example of what I like to draft in the format.
Pack 1, Pick 1:




My Pick:


As much as I love Deathspore Thallid, Wurmcalling is insane and I took it without hesitation. Ephemeron is also boss.

Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:


There's a good Grapeshot/Empty the Warrens deck that abuses Grinning Ignus from pack 3. However I almost always draft G/W/x in this format and Griffin Guide is very good.
Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Part 1 of plan assembled. Late Ephemeron is noted.
Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:


The set up continues.
Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:


He's a pinger in a color combination that's a bit short on removal at times. Solid man.
Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Teachings into Hymn is good, but I don't want to commit to that just yet. Watcher > Spinneret in a sliver deck.
Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:


Very innocuous looking, very lethal.
Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Saltfield is very good, but Voidstone is a large flier that has a pretty relevant ability.
Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


Pyrohemia is tempting, but I'm sticking to the colors.

Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Quite important.

Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:


A solid guy to lock down the sky.

Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:


There's a reason I take this guy over Malach of the Dawn.

Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Have some faith.

Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Still with me?

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


This pick could've been Foresee as we'll easily be able to splash it, but 3/3 is a very solid guy in this format.
Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:


This time there's nothing to compete with the Foresee.

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:


The plan comes together. Illiteracy still plagues Magic Online.
Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:



The Deck:


I chose to include Whetwheel as a Grey Ogre as my early game needed a bit of help. It can also sometimes kill your opponent on its own. The only maindeck Teachings target is Sprout Swarm, which is fine. Sideboard Aether Web, Havenwood Wurm, Dawn Charm, and Patrician's Scorn were all used to great effect throughout the draft.

I lost one game to Triskelavus, otherwise all the games were fairly easy. Patrician's Scorn and Aether Web came in against' U/W evasion with Reality Acid combo and a Temporal Isolation. Havenwood Wurm came in against a R/B deck with Lightning Axe as its main removal. Dawn Charm came in against the finals opponent, who was monogreen with Gaea's Liege and Baru.

I was able to use Voidstone Gargoyle to shut off my opponent's Malach of the Dawn as well as to name a suspended Nantuko Shaman in the finals. I was pretty happy with how the deck came together and Sprout Swarm didn't singlehandedly win any games. Mycoderm is criminally underrated, as is white in general.

Hope you enjoyed checking out this draft, if you have the tix and time to spare, TPF is one of the most fun draft formats ever.

Lessons Taught.
Kmaster

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rusty lives! Also, nice draft.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.