Monday, March 28, 2011

Starting in April, Daily Decks!

Sorry about the gap, people.


I've had to face my own personal demons for a while and Kai's been really busy with school; but I'm happy to announce the return of content to the site!

At the very least, we've got a daily deck series for the month of April where we'll talk about decks that picque our interest, whether it passes "the vom test", if it's going in the right direction or where we think it should be going.  Mondays and Wednesdays Kai will likely be talking about Standard and Extended; the competitive formats.  Tuesday I should be talking about the deck I'll be playing at Wednesday night Legacy, and Thursday should be another Legacy deck.  For Fridays, I'll be asking a couple people to write up a blurb about their favorite deck, and why they like it.  This isn't meant to be a full on Deck Tech, it's kind of a crutch for me to get me writing more about Magic.

A quick preview: the Zoo deck that I won a set of Jaces with at the Get Your Game On Jace-a-Thon.



















Combat is hard.  For some people.  Not me.

We're in the golden age of creature combat; Lorwyn forward.  Suddenly there are creatures worth casting instead of Aether Vial and Force of Will.

A quick rundown of the Jace tournament:

Swiss:
Michael Antrim - GW Ladies (Green-White Beats): 2-1
DJ Kastner - 4c Counterbalance: 1-2
Felix Liu - Affinity: 2-0
Amir Gamzu - Sneak and Tell: 2-0
Alex Olsen - Burn Zoo: 2-0
Kenta Hiroki - Team America: 2-1

Top 8:
Michael Antrim - GW Ladies: 2-0
Matthew Hetzner - Natural Order Bant: 2-0
Split finals with Christopher Walton playing UWr Thopter-Balance

Some quick tips to playing this variant of Zoo:
Know/Learn what is important and what is worth fighting over.  This is usually advice given to people when they're playing with counterspells, but it's important to note here too.  You have spells that are clearly better than other spells, some of these are worth running into Dazes and Counterspells, but consider the ramifications of having one less counter in your opponent's hand.
When you're sideboarding, exercise your options in the sense of becoming an entirely different deck.  If you're familiar with Ranger Zoo from the old large Extended, it's most similar to that - you're not blazingly fast, but when you cast a Ranger of Eos: you can pull ahead of opposing aggressive and control decks.
Don't ever expect to beat a combo deck with this list.  You might take games an matches, but expecting to win just leads to disappointment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved ya'll's draft articles. Hope we'll see more of them soon. Also, whatever happened to the free draft sets that were supposed to be given away to your facebook fans?

Gandhi said...

Financial problems for me mostly, I couldn't justify paying for them out of my pocket, even if it's only once every two weeks - it's still an extra expense, you know?

Anonymous said...

I second the opinion that the drafts were awesome, as I personally enjoyed being able to scroll through unlike, say, a draft video which takes forever. Looking forward to the deck series though!