Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Kai Draft #27 (SOM 8-4)

Scars draft, this time trying to win. And not poison or metalcraft?!

Pack 1, Pick 1:




My Pick:


Best red uncommon.
Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:


3rd best red uncommon.
Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Asceticism is a bomb in poison, which we will not be. Replica is the strongest card remaining.
Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:


At this point we know for sure we will be red. So the on color myr is preferable to the Infection and Replica.
Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Allergy is quite a strong removal spell, and is good enough for me to take it over the second Iron Myr. It also sets up the Furnace Celebration deck quite well for this draft.
Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Sure, we'll splash for this guy.
Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:


I could've taken Tumble Magnet here, as it is quite strong. However I'm counting on getting a Furnace Celebration sometime in this pack or the next, and Replica has stronger syngergy. It is also just better on its own, even though we will be splashing it in all likelihood.
Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Celebrate good times.
Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:


This possibly should've been Vampire. Drain 4 is very helpful against aggressive strategies.
Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:


Awesome.
Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:


Now that we have Celebration, I think it's okay to be a little wild.
Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Best black uncommon. Shatter is strong, but it's nowhere near close to Skinrender.
Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

I took a Scrapmelter out of this pack before my internet died on me. It came back in time for me to build the deck.


I decided to leave both Ferrovores and Hellions in the board as the Furnace Celebration didn't really need more help. Hellions would be good against decks with lots of Shatter effects, but the high mana cost would prove prohibitive in game ones as the deck is not very aggressive and thus we are paying a very high price for the 5/4 body.

Round 1: bobcards2 with G/B Poison

Game 1: I curve into Sylvok Replica + Furnace Celebration, but he has Slice for the Celebration and I can no longer have good times. He plays a Grasp on my Embersmith so I repay the favor on his Tanglewurm. He's played no other creatures besides a Moriok Replica while he keeps my beats to a minimum with 2 Tumble Magnets. His Trigon of Infestation shows up too late to be of any effect and my guys get him.

Game 2: He leads on Perilous Myr off Forest and Island?! After suiting up with Sylvok Lifestaff I brickwall him with Sylvok Replica and he refuses to use Tumble to sneak in 2 damage. Instead later on he Faxes me a question, equipped with Lifestaff (what a combo) and I just take it all since I had seen no other poison guys and my hand was all gas. He tries to Throne of Geth me down, but Sylvok ends that plan. Skinrender and friends bring it home.

Round 2: Aziridine with U/W

Game 1: I keep Sylvok, Bleak Coven, Flesh Allergy and lands and proceed to draw a bunch more lands. Bleak Coven is cast raw to get in some beats against his clock of Darkslick Drake. I Galvanic Blast a Perilous Myr to prevent the trade, get in for 8 with the Vampire, 1 with the Sylvok and Furnace + Vulshok Replica  his face for the remaining 11.

Game 2: I attempt to race his Darkslick equipped with Darksteel Axe. Eventually being forced to blow Replica on Livewire Lash while at 2 life so I could Flesh Allergy the drake with a Moriok Replica. . This leaves us both with no guys. He plays a Myr and another guy. I Skinrender the guy, and play another Moriok, which trades with Axe'd up Myr. His follow up is Argent Sphinx. Like a master I cycle Nihil Spellbomb into Grasp of Darkness, and kill him before he can draw a creature to go with his True Conviction. Good thing he never drew his Sunblast Angel.

Finals: ProtossX with R/W craft

Game 1: He has an Embersmith, which I use Arc Trail on to protect my Iron Myr. This allows me to accelerate into turn 4 Kuldotha Foremaste, turn 5 Sylvok Replica and Furnace Celebration. Then this happens



I saw the play and Syvok'd his Rust Tick EOT, using Furnace to burn out Galvanizer. I drew a blank on my turn, so I floated mana with Iron Myr, then Kuldotha'd my team to get a Clone Shell and kill his dragon. The game ended pretty quickly after that.

Game 2: I avoid being Eruption'd out twice, but am forced to block with an artifact creature, thus losing metalcraft and delaying Bleak Coven Vampires by a turn. The third Eruption got me.

Game 3: This is turn 4. What is your play?




One line is to Trigon the Rust Tick, and Arc Trail his team. However this is inferior to playing Leaden Myr and using the Trigon on the Sunchaser. Essentially the Arc Trail play delays mana by a turn and is a trade of Arc Trail for Trigon, since the Rust Tick will almost assuredly lock Trigon down. With my hand having all gas I was not concerned with handing X/1's (which the Arc Trail will deal with more efficiently anyways). I was later able to use the Arc Trail after freeing up my Trigon with Sylvok Replica to kill his Hoard Smelter after he made a terrible block on my Embersmith. He did Eruption for 4 the turn after, but my Forgemaster 3/5'd his way to victory.

Lessons taught.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the even better play on that last hand would be to go ahead and use the trigon on rust tick, then play out a myr. You end up taking a beat for 1, or maybe even 3 if he gets metalcraft, but it means you can arc trail the board next turn and drop a replica...