Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fourth of July Celebration Alara Block Premier Event Draft *Winner*

After running badly in the Onslaught block draft followed by MOCS being a complete disaster, I remarked to Matt I would probably drop MOCS and play Alara block 64-man draft. Since "I'm insane at that format." Join me for the two drafts and all six rounds of play!



In Alara block there are basically three decks. There is 2 color/ 2 color + splash. This archetype is best exemplified by G/W aggro, which seeks to use efficient beaters like Qasali Pridemage and Wild Leotau to beat down quickly. The second archetype is a full on shard, possibly with small splashes. This is the familiar Esper or Naya deck that everyone who has played this format has experienced. Multicolored spells like Woolly Thoctar or Grixis Charm are at their best here. The last archetype is 5 color control, which values mana fixing and removal above all else, and will end the game at leisure with anything from Cavern Thoctar to Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker.

I won my first pod, and then drafted a completely different deck in the top 8. Which in itself is pretty interesting. Hope you will enjoy the read. As always, feel free to leave comments here or on our facebook page. The link is available in the "About Us" section.

Draft 1:
Pack 1, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Bant Charm is better against creatures with Unearth than Terminate. It is also an out to Behemoth Sledge, which is one of the top 5 cards of the format. The counter an instant mode is rarely used, but whenever it is, it's always a blowout.
Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Leech is better than everything else.
Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Yup, still better.
Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:


Here the choices are Magma Spray, Vithian Stinger, or the triland. Stinger is better than Spray this early, since we don't know what holes the finished deck will have and Stinger is a stronger card in a vacuum. The triland lets us use the Leech in a 4 or 5 color shell as a blocker and finisher, in addition to splashing colors. It is more flexible and will definitely be harder to get later than a card on the level of Stinger.
Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:


I'm considering going 5 color here, so taking the very good finisher out of an otherwise blank pack.
Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Premium removal. Very nice to open.
Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


3 Leeches is better than 2.
Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:


Here, our primary goal for the rest of the draft will be to craft a deck that can 1. cast Leech on turn two and 2. support that with additional pressure. Savage Lands will be more important to our strategy than Soul's Fire.
Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Hatedraft. Leeches don't like lifegain.
Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:


I don't take Sojourners as I'm unsure whether I'm playing red at this point. I just know I will be base G/B. Dragger is a very good man.
Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:


Having picked up a strong Unearth theme on the wheel of this pack, I'm pretty committed to Jund now and my picks will reflect that.
Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Ignore Path and Agony Warp. They are traps. They don't cast Leech.
Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:


Topan Ascetic is a better card, but we are sorely lacking early removal.
Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Elder Mastery is a bomb. However we don't yet have any other blue cards worth splashing. Vis will stabilize the manabase while also providing reach.
Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:


This should never table. The card is actually quite good.
Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:


Yay! Unearth!
Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:


Is a stone cold bomb in our deck with 6 unearth creatures.
Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:


Decklist:


Round 1:

G1: Opponent played Mana Cylix on turn 1. His deck was not good enough for that card to have been in it.

G2: Opponent mulls to 4.


Round 2:

G1: I have Savage Lands into Leech while my opponent plays Ember Weaver. Wretched Banquet + Rupture Spire is my turn 3. He answers back with Rhox Brute, which declines to block my leech. Viscera Dragger joins the fray on my team. He attacks for some reason, then take 7 from my Scourge Devil attack as I don't pump leech to play around burn. I don't attack next turn as he has Excecution Caspule for my red Devil. I just play some more guys and eventually unearth the Devil for the win.

SB: - Nacatl Savage + Lightning Talons. The aura can be very effective in creature on creature matchups.

G2: I have the Savage start again, and my opponent remarks "really?" not knowing I have two. The only thing he plays is Executioner's Capsule, which is more than lackluster against my Dredgescape Zombie and Visera Dragger. I suit up Dragger with Talons and get a hit in before Drag Down + Yoke of the Damned gets my guys. They have Unearth though, and a Scourge Devil joins them and I win with my legion of undead.

Round 3:

G1:I keep a slow hand with Unscythe, Gift of the Gargantuan, Wild Leotau, and lands on the draw. I rip Nacatl Savage and it trades for his Nacatl Outlander. I have Gift of the Gargatuan for Leech and Island, and drop Wild Leotau to trump his Ranger of Eos for a single Wild Nacatl. Leotau trades for a Sigil Blessing and I hold the fort with 2 Leeches and a Mosstodon. Mossman is Resounding Thundered. I play Scourge Devil and attack with both leeches into Nacatl, Ranger, and a 2/2. He doesn't block and takes 10. His return attack sees Nacatl trade with Devil. Next time I enter combat my leeches are tapped by Naya Charm I play Undead Leotau and pass back. Opponent concedes.

G2: I keep a hand with Mistvein Borderpost, Savage Hunger, Branching Bolt, and Grixis Battlemage on the draw. His curve of Nacatl plus Dragon Fodder plus Colossal Might puts me on the back foot. I stabilize at 6 with larger dudes and a Skeletonize but he has the Naya Charm to kill me.

G3: I have turn 2 Dredgescape, and miss my third land even after cycling Savage Hunger. I hit the Forest on turn 4 and have Leech. Team attacks through Godtracker of Jund and Ranger of Eos, then I play a second Leech. He leaves up mana after playing Nacatl, and has Intimidation Bolt on my Zombie. I calmly drop more guys and stare his down. The board ends up going into this position:

I attack here to put him as low on creatures as possible, rendering any Naya Charms he draws much less effective. My first Leech already got killed by a Resounding Thunder in response to the pump, and if he wants to Naya Charm the second on I'm in more than fine shape after that trade. Unscythe would singlehandedly mow through his team if I wanted it. What ends up happening is he double blocks both guys, then in response to me pumping Leech he casts Soul's Fire on his Nacatl and my Leech. I Bolt the cat in response, and his entire team dies while my Leotau lives. He doesn't survive too long after the 5 for 2.

Top 8:
Going into the top 8 draft I want to be in 5 color. It's the archetype I've had the most experience with in this format and I can probably outdraft my pod using that strategy. However I was not deadset on it and would remain flexible to other options.



Pack 1, Pick 1:

My Pick:


This guy's very good if your opponent's deck can't block him. And in the lategame he can just sit there and burn them out without having to attack. He will race virtually anything if he is not interacted with.
Pack 1, Pick 2:

My Pick:


I understand this guy is bad in constructed. But in draft he is insane. Minimum 5/5 and usually 10/10 or bigger. Huge threat.
Pack 1, Pick 3:

My Pick:


I went with this over Soul Manipulation as that makes my shard Jund if I want to be tricolor. Also Soul's Fire + Lord of Extinction is game over.
Pack 1, Pick 4:

My Pick:


Trilands should not be 4th pick.
Pack 1, Pick 5:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 6:

My Pick:


Realm Razer should not be 6th pick.
Pack 1, Pick 7:

My Pick:


This card is better than Dragon Fodder as we are pretty much committed to 4 or 5 color control given our heavy bomb density. Thus we are looking for removal and ways to gain card advantage, which Fracture provides better than Dragon Fodder.
Pack 1, Pick 8:

My Pick:


No need to take a Naturalize with Fracture already. Zombies helps fix potential heavy splashes.
Pack 1, Pick 9:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 10:

My Pick:


Relic of Progenitus was also a reasonable choice as one of the tough matchups for 5cc is B/x unearth. The Mystics are very good as flying defense and a way to protect your finishers.
Pack 1, Pick 11:

My Pick:


Thallid is way better than it looks. Especially against Goblin Deathraider type decks.
Pack 1, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 13:

My Pick:


Haters gonna hate.
Pack 1, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 1, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 1:

My Pick:


Our fat. It is fatter than their fat.
Pack 2, Pick 2:

My Pick:


It's like a triland. That costs mana. - Ari Lax.
Pack 2, Pick 3:

My Pick:


A gift. Also an insane asset to have in the archetype as it provides an answer to anything.
Pack 2, Pick 4:

My Pick:


This over Thresh is a matter of pure speed. We have a lot of fatties already, and the Leech is a better fit to be able to block early.
Pack 2, Pick 5:

My Pick:


I don't need Fusion Elemental. The Kaleidostone cycles, which is always good as it makes your deck effectively smaller, thus higher density of "good stuff." Also is capable of fixing, which is desirable.
Pack 2, Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 7:

My Pick:


As much as I like the 1/5, Mosstodon is a beating in the right deck, and I really don't want to face it. It's also a fine guy to play in the 5color deck.
Pack 2, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 9:

My Pick:


Wall of Cat!
Pack 2, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 11:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 13:

My Pick:


Should make the maindeck. Gaining 4 is very relevant. And having more chance of having an O Ring or Soul's Fire is very good.
Pack 2, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 2, Pick 15:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 1:

My Pick:


One blue card.
Pack 3, Pick 2:

My Pick:


The guy passing to me ended up being Grixis, so this is actually understandable to get 2nd pick.
Pack 3, Pick 3:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 4:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 5:

My Pick:


I like Suicidal Charge quite a bit, but the Battlemage is just stronger and provides many blockers.
Pack 3, Pick 6:

My Pick:


The card I least want to play against.
Pack 3, Pick 7:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 8:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 9:

My Pick:


I like this card more than most people in 5color decks.
Pack 3, Pick 10:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 11:

My Pick:


For the mirror, if there is one.
Pack 3, Pick 12:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 13:

My Pick:


So nobody else in this pod actually knew what they were doing. Cool.
Pack 3, Pick 14:

My Pick:

Pack 3, Pick 15:

My Pick:


The Deck:

I chose not to include the Borderpost or the Jhessian Zombies as my blue count was more than adequate and I didn't want more comes into play sources of mana. The Obelisk of Bant was left out as well as it only really fixes blue since the deck has a strong G/W core. Mosstodon was the least desirable dude as he dies to all the 3 damage spells so he was relegated to the board.

Round 1:

G1: My opponent stalls on 3 swamps, discards Drastic Revelations while eating my Lightning Reaver. I 2 for 1 his Cloudheath Drake and Sewn-Eye Drake (Yes Kurtis, team drakes) when he chooses to block Reaver. I never have to play the Realm Razer or Oblivion Ring left in my hand.


G2: I have Jund Battlemage on 3 and Shard Convergence on 4 against his Esper Stormblade and Kathari Bomber. He bombs me for some tokens and plays a Zombie Outlander. I play Suicidal Charge. He unearths bomber and is forced to attack with his team. I eat the Outlander with my Battlemage and after his Bomber is exiled his Stormblade loses its power up so it dies too. I have O Ring for his followup of Blood Tyrant and my assorted creatures outclass his goblin tokens.

Round 2: prof.chaos with 5cc. He's a ringer, so I watched his replays and knew what I was up against.

G1: He has Obelisk into Woolly while I have Thallid to chump and Lightning Reaver to race. He follows up with Esper Comorants and Crystallization. I Fracture the Crystallization and Oblivion Ring the Comorants. I misplay and walk Jund Battlemage into Soul Manipulation, which gives him an extra cycle out of Ridge Rannet to find Grixis Charm for the Reaver. A Hindering Lightning on my Agony Warp and Terminate for my Lord later and I am dead.

SB: - Grizzled Leotau - Tukatongue Thallid + Predatory Advantage + Resounding Scream

The blockers are bad in an attrition war and their removal makes Captured Sunlight better as well.

G2: He plays an Elvish Visionary and cycles some fatties. I hit him with Lightning Reaver before it is Terminated. I play Predatory Advantage and he has Woolly Thoctar. I play Rhox Meditant to cantrip and he concedes the next turn when he has no followup creature to stop the advantage.

G3: He has an accelerated Cavern Thoctar to match my accelerated Lightning Reaver after I play Shard Convergence. He kills my guy and plays Spore Burst while I Fracture his Mistvein Borderpost. Suicidal charge kills the tokens while he Blightnings some lands out of my hand. I cycle Resounding Scream and make him discard land and Kiss of the Amesha. a Charnelhoard Wurm later to rebuy Captured Sunlight, hitting Oblivion Ring and it's all over. For reference the cascade could only get Oblivion Ring, Soul's Fire, 5/5 Knight of Reliquary, or Jund Battlemage, all of which would've been good to great.

Yea, that just happened to you in the top 8 of a PE.

Finals: GALL with Unearth

G1: His Dreadwing meets my Wall of Cat. He plays Fleshbag the next turn and trade Dreadwing for 1/5. My Jund Battlemage is Unsummoned, but he has no followup. Captured Sunlight gets Agony Warp for his Marauder, and I make some tokens with Battlemage to protect against other Edict effects. He casts no more spells and concedes on turn 7 showing only Swamps and Islands.

SB: Nothing. Tukatongue is very good against Fleshbag, and 1/5 blocks Unearth creatures very well.

G2: Again 1/5 faces Dreadwing. This time he goes to the skies for 4 on turn 3. I play Knight of the Reliquary and wait, but it lives. Knight accelerates out Aerie Mystics, which he declines to attack into with Dreadwing. His followup of unpowered Stormblade pales against my Putrid Leech. I Fracture it anyways in response to Tar Fiend to make his guy as small as possible. He only devours a Thopter token and I discard Trace of Abundance. I swing with my Mystics and hit him, taking 7 from Dreadwing but time walking him. I hit him with Leech next turn and sit back, playing around Unsummon since I am at 8 life. He has Call to Heel for my flier and 7's me again with Dreadwing. I draw Soul's Fire next turn and he incorrect blocks Leech with his Fiend and my 7/7 Knight connects, and burns him with his soul.

I was very confident going into the draft that I knew the format well and would be able to navigate the drafting portion competently and play around the correct tricks during the matches. Any questions/comments can be posted in the comments section after this article or on our Facebook page.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Matt McCullough said...

Jund: Good in constructed. Must be good in limited

hwu said...

I can only hope your opponent screamed after you played resounding scream

Kmaster said...

And by good to great I mean Soul's Fire just loops off Charnelhoard's ability and kills my opponent on the spot. :D